Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Otter Taken Up Residence  (Read 5619 times)

HappyHippy

Otter Taken Up Residence
« on: May 04, 2009, 03:44:06 pm »
Two weeks ago I was convinced that I saw a young otter playing in the stream that leads off our pond, it was dusk and it was a fair distance away so I couldn't be sure, however everyone thought it was pregnancy hormones making me see things or more likely a mink..................................
That was until yesterday, when my dad - on his way back from planting trees - came face to face with an adult about 3ft long, after looking at him for a second the otter dissapeared into the undergrowth.
We have located the 'holt' and are watching, from a distance, with intrest. So far it's only the adult we've seen at the holt, but I'm hopefull there's a wee family in there.
I'm sooooo chuffed that they're here because I don't think there's ever been any in the area before, does anyone else have otters or any advice for making sure they hang about ?

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
Re: Otter Taken Up Residence
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:01:27 pm »
OMG you are sooo lucky to have otters near you - I love them.  You must be so pleased.

Let us know if you see any little ones wont you

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:11:46 pm »
i belive they are parchal to a bit of cat food (but don't quote me on that)

Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:24:31 pm »
How brilliant. Your local authority Ranger service might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 08:22:58 am »
Thanks Rosemary, it never even occurred to me about local ranger - must be baby brain !
Milly, you're right - I'm mighty chuffed. The only downside is that our resident wild ducks will probably lose all their eggs to the otter, but I'm afraid it's tough luck for them. Otters come way higher up my list of preferred wildlife  :o
I'll do my best to get a photo, but I'm not making any promises - baby's taking up A LOT of my time  ;)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:48:50 am »
Thats so exciting I have seen otters in scotland and devon but always from a distance it will be a great experience for you to be able to watch them closely. enjoy

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:07:58 pm »
We are lucky enough to have some on our shore.

Possibly a breeding set plus last years babies, but its difficult to try and tell the difference. You see piles of crab shells and claws every morning on the shore, but I've not worked out where they live.

Just don't tell too many people as they all want to watch!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:46:19 pm »
were lucky we can see them most times we head for the beach. You may lose the odd duck to them. Don't get to close they are very strong and will attack if bothered. We had a large dog otter walking down the road very slowly in front of us for about 50 metres a few months ago. we have seen them in town and at the ferry terminal. They have a special otter tour up here costs about £50 and they warn you that you could be stood around for hours. I used to park the car up about 20 minutes before going for the kids and they would usually be bobbing about near the car park. having moved we now have seals instead. 

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:55 pm »
Have I got otters?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS