Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mediaeval pigs  (Read 6579 times)

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
Re: Mediaeval pigs
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 07:48:35 pm »
oh wow well done im not 100% now it might be a magazine that the bpa send out like i say im not 100% i will find it though as i dont like to throw any pig info out!! how are you getting on with them?

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »
I should have guessed it was you from the profile picture!!

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 08:04:54 pm »
ha ha gary  :wave:  The article on meishans is going in the next BPA issue. The only thing I have written on them  so far is an article in january for smallholder but I didn't mention I was buying them then, at least I don't think so.  Yes thanks they are fine. i really love them actually. They are going to a show in two weeks time. Only the gilts not the boar as he needs weight putting on, he's a bit scrawny. Does the biz though.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »
just had a chat with father and he said he thought he had read something in one of the smallholder magazines! oh well im looking forward to the bpa edition next time!! i read somewhere else that a commercial farmer used the meishan and crossed with a landrace or large white cant remember which now to improve the litter sizes.

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »
it may have been on this forum that they were mentioned                there is a commercial breeder in England that has maishams as the core pig crossed with several other breeds   has he imported seamen or pigs  or are they breed outside the UK and imported :farmer:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »
As far as i know Robert, a conseignment of pigs were imported into the uk about 20 years ago from China, there are none of those pigs left, but there could well be someone out there who made use of them all the years ago and based their future breeding on offspring. The only seman in the uk is actually meishan crossed and no good to me.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 08:32:22 pm »
from the TV programme it gave the impression he had them :farmer:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 08:39:17 pm »
interesting, I wonder if he has, as if he has, i can't really say I have the only meishans if that is the case,  but I spoke to a director of the genetics company that imported the meishans and he told me that no there weren't any in the uk

www.porkyquines.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 08:45:11 pm »
better just saying the only ones in Scotland    then export them down south    time we got the pigs going back down as the basis of the pig herds      large blacks have done this (but that herd is no longer going)   Hampshire's are going down south any further and they would be in France   Scottish breeding is the basis of the large whites :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »
just had a chat with father and he said he thought he had read something in one of the smallholder magazines! oh well im looking forward to the bpa edition next time!! i read somewhere else that a commercial farmer used the meishan and crossed with a landrace or large white cant remember which now to improve the litter sizes.
I saw a write up in Pig World about a guy down Yorkshire way who had had a new commercial breed/hybrid recognised. Meishan crossed with other commercial breeds and the resulting pig is called a Meidian (I think!) I'll see if I can find it  ;)
I can't wait to see them at Wigton Linda  ;D

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 09:00:17 am »
HH yes that rings a bell now let me know if you find the article :)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 07:50:33 am »
yes I read that karen, but where was it?

www.porkyquines.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS