Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mediaeval pigs  (Read 6578 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Mediaeval pigs
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »
Has anyone heard of these before? I returned a borrowed Kune boar this morning and saw in a pen what I thought were iron age weaners. They were, in fact, Mediaeval pigs. And, before anyone leaps at me, this is their tale, as I remember it.
A good few years ago (50?) a rich man visited Cook island and saw these tiny pigs. He was taken with them and brought a number of them back on his yacht ( naughty, even in those days!) and kept them as a herd.
Six months later he died of a heart attack and his widow didn't want anything to do with them so the farm worker who had been caring for them took them home. After a while they went to a tenant farmer who kept them for a good few years and then went on to another person who kept them badly.
The RSPCA became involved and the pigs were, thankfully, given as a herd to the person who has them now. They have inbred them to the point where this is no longer feasible and can find no-one with others of this species so don't know where to go from here. (this story is a bit tangled so anyone interested in them, p.m. me for the owners details, they will put it right!)
They are the dearest, friendliest, ugliest little souls and I am very tempted ::)  But I think the best person to keep them will be someone who will develop them, using another breed and who knows what they are doing. I think the owners have been persuaded to have DNA tests done on them and are anxious to establish them as a breed.
Robert, I can read your answer before you type it :D  but what do other pig enthusiasts think? :pig: :pig:

HappyHippy

Re: Mediaeval pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:40:44 pm »
Do they look anything like this ?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6155172.stm
(Look at the drawing further down the page - not the stuffed one  ;)
The 'Grice' was an old breed of pig found on Shetland (and I'm sure there must be other areas with similar)
but there are also similar 'feral' pigs in most countries - razor backs in Austrailia for example, so it could be descended from these or something similar?

I'd be tempted to get in touch with the museum in Shetland for more information from them, worth a phonecall to the Rare breed survival trust (they have field officers who'll come for a look and might take blood for testing)
Sorry, I can't be of more help......but keep me posted  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:44:50 pm »
well Sylvia you will know the 7 numbers for the eurolottery tonight
there are a few breeds like this one call them what you want  they are just not recognised as an individual breed
the sailors of old had live pigs on board to have fresh meat and some were deposited on islands
there is an island some where that the pigs swim out to greet the tourists and get food
pics would be nice
was that what  you were looking for :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:47:07 pm by robert waddell »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:39:22 pm »
Exactly Robert, these pigs were taken on board sailing ships as a supply of fresh meat, plonked down on islands, or maybe swam to them when shipwrecked and developed into these very small pigs. These pigs are very "typey" but the owners(who are very experienced pig folk) can't think how to go on with them with no gene pool to call on.
Karen, I will ask the owners to post some pics as I don't know how. I am still tempted ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:18 pm »
they are probably so inbred that it has reduced the size of them     but without pics we are at a loss to ascertain even remotely what they could be  or descended from    50 years is a long time with no new blood even 10 years can alter a breed dramatically  from what it was to what it becomes with breeding  numbers at birth and size :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »
Karen, they do look like these pigs but they have no tusks. Robert, it may not have been 50 years ago, it may well have been 15 :-[  I'm a useless gossip! Do you want me to get the whole story on them? :)  I'll write it down this time.
 I just thought it was an interesting look at pig history.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 06:09:00 pm »

there is an island some where that the pigs swim out to greet the tourists and get food
pics would be nice
was that what  you were looking for :farmer:
Bahamas - video attached

Swimming Pigs in the crystal clear sea of the Bahamas

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »
Yes, Oakland Pigs, they are very much like these, though a bit smaller, but I daresay as with any species of animal, if inbred and a bit short of protein foods they will become smaller. Then, with outbreeding and plenty of grub they become bigger. Humans are the same!

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 06:36:13 pm »
so there are white pigs black pigs and pigs that look like OSB  is that correct or is it just the size you are referring to :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »
What would be the chances of going back to the Cook islands and importing fresh semen?  Or have they all gone from there?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »
thanks for posting the video Oaklands  ;D  i can't wait to show my kids that pigs can swim!!! i thought it was just my pigs that could swim with all the rain we've had!!!!

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:05 pm »
You can't just import fresh seman without massive amounts of paperwork and also money. I looked into importing meishan seman from the US and it was going to cost me at least £2,000. Also some countries don't allow it in any case.  You would also have to have the correct equipment in which to keep it which can cost over a £1,000 as well. I have looked into this so I know from experience.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 07:38:52 pm »
so there are white pigs black pigs and pigs that look like OSB  is that correct or is it just the size you are referring to :farmer:

Yes Robert, it was size and type I was referring to. These are black and greyish. I will ask the owner to send me an e mail about them and send it on.

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »
im pretty sure there is someone in our country who is now breeding Meishans i read about it in one of my pig magazines i'll have a hunt for it now to double check.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 07:43:52 pm »
Gary don't hunt, its me  ;) I have the only meishans in the country, which mag did you see it in as my articles on them haven't yet appeared
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS