Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from yet another one in Midlothian  (Read 4003 times)

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
Hi from yet another one in Midlothian
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »
Hi Everybody,

Another Newbie - this site is so awesome I don't know when to stop!
I have always had a smallholding dream since I was a child and used to pester the parents to have a cat, then a dog, then a horse, cow, sheep, you name it, I wanted it!!
Eventually we settled on poultry and dogs (far too many - my mum used to breed and sell the pups of many giant breeds), also smuggled a couple of cats in but they had a hard life! Never had a cow or a sheep but managed to get a horse in time. I used to keep him at the livery stables though and he was a show-jumper/eventer, not really working class  :D

I qualified as a vet and although I'm nominally a large animal vet atm I am actually doing a PhD on a sheep parasite. This proved so stressful I had to start knitting again, this brought crochet on me, then Woolfest, then you know where you end up.

Hopefully  :fc: one day after I finish this project I can go off and buy a croft for my husband (he likes to grow veg) and myself (I like to breed animals. Anything). I'd love to have my own little flock of Shetland sheep for fleeces - my dream just now is to make jumpers like my mother-in-law did, from raw fleece to fair isle pattern.

Keep dreaming for the moment and thank you everybody for the very useful articles/websites and comments.

Speak soon!

:wave: :horse: :cat: :chook: :dog:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hi from yet another one in Midlothian
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:06:33 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Come and meet us at the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival! Sunday 30th September, Forfar Market.

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:48:20 pm »
Sounds fun! I hope I could make it - lab work permitting  :innocent:

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:49:36 pm »
hi & welcome from me - as a recent newbie i should warn you how addictive the site is.............  but i wont :wave:

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »
Hello and welcome. :wave:

Sounds fun! I hope I could make it - lab work permitting  :innocent:

There's going to be a spinning wheel clinic at the Festival - http://www.scottishsmallholdershow.co.uk/news/woodland-turnery-spinning-wheel-clinic/  ;) :)

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:43:17 pm »
Wow thanks! This makes it even more enticing. I MUST go!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:27:52 pm »
Hello from down the road near Lauder, if you're passing this way drop in, I'm good at pots of tea - we're on the map  - Dod Mill by Lauder (about 4 miles NE of) :wave:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:33:04 pm »
 :wave:

hehe wondered how long it would take you get on here.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from Shropshire and from another TAS addict.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:07:33 pm »
Hi & welcome from West Scotland  :wave:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »
Hi
 I'm new too & like you, always crazed the parents for animals - I once tried to hide a young chicken in my bedroom but mum found it while I was at school and I had to take it back (I was only about 8 at the time, but loved poultry ever since)  Mum & Dad used to breed St. Bernards - But I never got my own horse until Ieft home & got a job!
What large breed dogs did you have? 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »
Hi and welcome from Sue (and Great Dane) in Worcestershire  :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »
Hi fairhavenfarm, your story does sound familiar!!

We started off with just the one Dalmatian (on the wake of the Disney's film), she's always been my favourite - she was called Peggy and lived to the grand age of 15. We have always been asking for more puppies so we bred from her first, (she had 14 that time!!), then my mum liked the whole business of rising pups and it escalated from there.

At one point we had 20 bitches and their litters. My mum loved Great Danes (5 all at once, 3 of which lived in the house with us, + Peggy, + cats), but we also had Newfoundlands, Shar-Peis (the skin-in-folds Chinese dogs), Alsatian, Labrador, Giant Schnauzer and another Dalmatian. I think there was more, but I can't remember them all!

It was chaos  ::)  ;D but we loved it. Us children went quite wild at that point lol
After school I was in charge of collecting food bowls after their meals and washing them, then I had to feed/clean/water and generally look after the chickens, ducks and geese. Was so much fun! I have really fond memories of that time and that place. It was the perfect smallholding  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 04:29:13 pm »
Sounds like a idyllic childhood.  I could never persuade my parents to get more than a hamster and, later, a dog although my younger brother had a snake and white mice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS