Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clik/Rain...  (Read 7094 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Clik/Rain...
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:26:31 am »
We've sprayed our 3 ram lambs with Clik but I left the 2 shearlings as they were sheared in June and have only just started to regrow any fleece.

We've had this continuous rain here in Worcestershire and are currently on flood alert with more rain due, although its actually sunny currently  :fc:

would heavy rain just wash newly applied Clik off?  I've been reluctant to put it on for this to happen..?
thanks
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Clik/Rain...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:24:38 pm »
Dunno about Clik, Lisa - you would certainly not rely on Crovect applied in such conditons.

I presume there aren't so many flies about if the rain is pretty much continuous?  In which case is it doing any harm to wait for the weather to pick up?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »
Just found these details
Do not treat wet animals but can be used on dry or damp.
Has been developed to be as rainfast as possible but sheep should be treated with a forecast period of dry weather for a few hours after application.
http://www.farmanimalhealth.co.uk/sheep-clik
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:56:58 pm »
Dunno about Clik, Lisa - you would certainly not rely on Crovect applied in such conditons.

I presume there aren't so many flies about if the rain is pretty much continuous?  In which case is it doing any harm to wait for the weather to pick up?

That's what I've been thinking. Good to hear the same from you as it makes sense really.
THanks both x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »
So far, we've found very few flies about as it's been cool as well as wet - nice and sunny today but a stiffish breeze, and no flies even around the horses. Fingers crossed for good enough conditions for you to Clik.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »
We had flystrike on our ewes when they were sheared and now have a lamb with flystrike. This weather is awful with the rain followed by sun. Horrid!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:13:14 pm »
Our worst year for fly strike yet. Just had a small strike on a  Clikd wether.  Didn't develop into much but we are only four weeks into the sixteen.  Watching the rest like hawks.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:49 am »
I just had my Lleyns sheared - not a sign of strike, only to find one of my Wilts rams had been struck in the base of his horns, really nasty because it had gone unnoticed back there.... Its warm and wet - never had a wilts struck like this before...horrid.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS