Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worried Lamb advice please...  (Read 3233 times)

kitchen cottage

Worried Lamb advice please...
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:18:29 pm »
The lamb that was worried is eating well and fully weight bearing on its leg.  Its in my cartlodge with one other ewe for company.  only thing is is that it seems to be panting a little and is still running a temperature.  Its on its third day of antibiotic and had its nuts, an eighth of a bale of hay, a grated apple and a digestive.  Its alert, the site of the wound is sore, if you touch it it shivers, its got two days of antibiotics left. 

Is that all as it should be?

The dog attack woman confirmed she will pay the vets bill..... so thats one less thing to worry about.

Thank you for all your help.  Without it I wouldn't have called the vet or got painkillers and he did need it.  I think the fault was me because I misdescribed the wound to the vet and she couldn't tell from the photo that it was so deep.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Worried Lamb advice please...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »
The panting could be from pain, or from heat, but it could also be from a chest infection.  The antibiotic will have been chosen to combat a wound infection, but might not be effective against a chest infection.  Which one have you been giving?   Can you contact your vet again to see if she recommends a second antiB in light of these symptoms?   Normally, we respond to antiBs by the second day....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:38:59 pm »
I think the wound would still be sore and hot - if you've ever had a dog bite, you'll know that teeth do an awful lot of damage, cos they bruise as well as tear, and of course bites get infected.

The fact that it's eating well and using the leg is good news but the stress could have caused pneumonia which might need a different antibiotic. Back to the vet.

Oh, and some live yoghurt to counteract the antibiotics killing of gut bacteria is a good plan.

Cross posted with Fleecewife, great minds  :)

kitchen cottage

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:21:43 pm »
 ???   erm.... the panting only starts when it sees me :(   I think he's now frightened of me, Amanda was sitting by him and she said he was fine till he saw me coming  :(   I'll phone vet tomorrow anyway.  He's on "pen and strep" according to the label.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:44:15 pm »
Oh kitchen cottage - you shouldn't mention mint sauce in front of him  :sofa: :innocent:

Maybe it's nothing then, other than stress.  Maybe if you always have a little treat for him he will associate you with good things.  But it's still worth mentioning to the vet - nothing lost by a phone call  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kitchen cottage

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:12:11 pm »
I've been injecting him for the last few days and cleaning the wound.... deffo will speak to the vet tomorrow though.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:14:34 am »
It might just be that then, that he associates you with injections  :P I hate having to dose or inject my goats for several days in a row, for just this reason.

Fleecewife is right (of course  :)), bring a treat with you - mine like sultanas - and let him have some as soon as he sees you and after you treat him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS