Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dying chickens!  (Read 8001 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Dying chickens!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 08:39:29 pm »
This is all getting a bit 'Silkwood'!  I need to buy a biohazard suit!!!

Joking apart thanks for advice.  I sprayed the house and will steam clean next weekend when I work out how I'm going to get electric up there!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 09:02:09 pm »
I have a REALLY long cable - but I don't think it would stretch as far as Driffield!  ;)
Seriously - hope you get your chooks sorted
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »
Thank you!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 09:45:31 am »
Had to do our shed again this weekend, hubby busy hanging gates not building upvc shed! ::)  lots of mites again this year, horrible things they are! Diotamaceous (sp?) earth is supposed to be good too, but never used it.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 12:36:51 pm »
I blitzed my sheds this weekend. Turfed everything out, cleaned into all nooks and crannies with stiff brush. applied that diatomaceous earth liberally to all crevices etc. replaced everything. added some of that pink powder, i think it's called stallesan e or summat? new plastic sheet on floor and some shavings. then sprinkled mite powder as well for good luck, and it smells nice. also did some running repairs to pop hole and perches.
not sure if it will keep the mites away for long but it cheered the birds up and smells nice, for a while. I will continue to harrass the birds by powdering them, one by one. It's a constant battle, but we all have to do it.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 01:54:58 pm »
carl - if you wait till the hens have all gone in to perch, creep in, shut the door and powder them then, I find they're usually dopey enough to just sit and let me get on with it!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »
That's what I do, but they don't exactly relish it. I have to do it by torch light, it's a good job I'm not overlooked by any one. They might wonder what all the fuss is about. ( hen making disgruntled noises after I've talked to it while powdering as though I'm doing a babies bottom?)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 03:59:54 pm »
remember they dont live on the chuck. its more important to treat the house than the bird. It will help kill off any other nasty they may have so do it every couple of weeks to prevent and twice a week to kill off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS