Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dying chickens!  (Read 7951 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Dying chickens!
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:46:05 pm »
I seem to have one chicken dying about every 6 weeks - does anyone have any ideas what it could be?  Is there anything that incubates for that length of time?  The deaths may not be connected, but the is definitely a pattern building up.  The one that died yesterday had shown no signs of being poorly and died in her sleep.  The previous ones had been depressed for a couple of days and then died, at night, in their sleep.

Any ideas anyone?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Dying chickens!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:34 pm »
do you have a friendly vet. or get a very detailed chicken book and have a look for your self, it should be pretty obvious which bit was unhealthy.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:12:20 pm »
Do you mean do a PM?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
if its on going its the most sensible thing to do. Some books give excellent images of healthy/ unhealthy innards. But if i was you and they are expensive birds then ask the vet to do a quick one.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:48:40 pm »
I really don't fancy doing a pm, but if another one dies then I'll take up the challenge!  They are cheap farm birds.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »
wormed and checked for nasties? try adding some seaweed based supplement to there diet.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:40:12 pm »
I found some re mites in the shed this weekend so I nuked them.  I haven't wormed them and think it would be a good idea.  What is the best wormer to buy?  I can't worm in the water as, although the chickens have their own water. they also drink the pig's water.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »
You can use Flubenvet and put it in the feed. Keep them enclosed early doors to eat it. We use VermX herbal wormer liquid on bread cubes.

You might want to try garlic or cider vinegar in their water as a tonic. Lots of folk swear by it.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 07:08:04 am »
you must get rid of the mites they are the most likely killers. Do you have access to a steam cleaner. that should kill the little nasties off. do it a few times. and get hold of the special mite soil sorry forgot its name. then stick some mite powder down you should beat them eventually.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:53:33 pm »
I sprayed the mites with special red mite spray.  At the weekend the chickens get a treat of oats, bran, sugar beet soaked with hot water, apple cider vinegar, oyster shell, poultry spice  and a chicken tonic.  I'll get some Flubenvet asap.  I hope the problem is red mites because at least its something we can deal with.  Thanks for all your help

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »
ive heard that you need to be careful that you dont bring them into your house they are a devil to kill off. so strip off after dealing with them and wash at a high temp. good luck they take time to kill.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:53 pm »
Most of the red mites seem to have a gone, but I've nuked the remainder ones again.  Will the chickens have caught the mites of the local wild birds?  If so, I have a continuing battle on my hands!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:26:49 am »
Have you introduced any new birds recently. I very much expect your chucks could catch them off the wildbird population. but as they dont normally live on the bird its more likely to have been brought in. Even when you think you have killed them off keep treating for a while as it would only take a few to reinfest. i still would steam clean the coop. This should kill any eggs hanging around.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:18:59 am »
Red mites are really hard to get rid of permanently! we had them last year, lost 1 hen, I got a steam cleaner and every week emptied the shed steam cleaned it thoroughly, put fresh shavings in and red mite powder. The mites live in the crevices and come out at night to feed of the birds. Squirt some washing up liquid (not the really cheap thin 15p per bottle stuff) at each end of the perches every evening it helps prevent the mites from crossing the perches! For me its a losing battle as we have them again now! SOOOO we bought a bloddy expensive upvc shed which I'm hoping will be erected this weekend! Good luck but they are buggers to get rid of!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 06:14:04 pm »
A heat gun would do the same trick

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS