Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sausage maker/machine  (Read 5359 times)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
sausage maker/machine
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »
any suggestions on which sausage maker/machine i should buy?
complete novice

HappyHippy

Re: sausage maker/machine
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 05:23:55 pm »
I've got a wee mincer (from Northern Tools) with stuffer attachements - it's a good wee starter machine, but really sloooooooow once you've done it a couple of times or been spoiled by using a stuffer on it's own ;)
If you're making serious amounts of sausages (more than a couple of kilos) I'd say buy one of the big stuffers and just ask your butcher to mince all the pork and fat and bag them seperately for you - you just mix up the meat and stuff away til your heart's content  :thumbsup:
I think Northern Tool also had a special on their vertical stuffers not so long ago, but you can get them from Ebay, Weshenfelder and a host of other places too. Look out for ones with different sized nozzles too so that you can do a range of sausages and make sure it all comes apart for easy cleaning (oh and if you get the option of clamps for holding it to a table - take them !) Holding it in place while turning the handle is hellish  ::)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:31:46 pm »
If you are mincing the meat and fat then you may want to think of getting a  range of disks ( not sure what they are called) so that you can mince course or fine. We also pass the meat and fat thru the course mincer then add the seasoning etc - mix with our hands then pass thru the course mincer again then straight into the skins.
If you are making salami or saucisson sec then you will need a course mincer.
Oh - others may correct me but I think that the mincer action will generate some heat and raise the temperature of the mix output thru the disc and end nozzel.So make sure fat and meat is well chilled so that the nozzel that the skin fits over does not clog up. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:09:08 am »
We got ours (mincer/stuffer) from Argos for less than £100 a few years ago.  It works really well for us, but the most we've ever done at a go is 16kgs - the "lighter side" of KK keeping  ;) ;D
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »
don't use a mincer/stuffer      better using a hand cranked stuffer that way you can go at your own pace
yes the meat heats up but only if it is a small mincer that you have  to force the meat through   with smaller mincers you go through more cutters than with a large one    it all depends on what you want and what you are intending doing    a small mincer takes ages to mince especially if you are doing it twice the small one Lillian has and everybody else seams to have   will take about 3 hours to do a pig   whereas the big one     which is about a thousand pounds will do the same in 20 min     wheshenfielder is your best contact  tell Tim that Lillian recommended them   you may get discount :farmer:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »
okay, so first attempt today (we went for the lakelands model just to see how i get on) minced a treat but tasted my sausages, they seemed too stuffed solid, needed some "juice" do you think i need more water or add more fatty cuts??
its pork im using
husband thought i maybe minced it too finely?
all advice welcome.
Robert, been on the website and ordered different seasonings etc, cheers

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »
is the sausage meat like pate or  course :farmer:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:25 pm »
like pate not course

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 08:35:19 am »
minced to much then    also is the meat heating up when passing through the mincer   this can reduce the shelf life of the meat    and are you resting the meat betwean mincing and remincing or making the sausages :farmer:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:21 am »
minced the meat, then back in the fridge until we went to make the sausages so then it was minced again, can tell we are going to be eating a lot of sausages before we get it right!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:47:53 am »
do smaller batches :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:50 am »
are your knifes on the mincer sharp this can make a big difference  if the blades chock with Grissel this will stop the meat passing through and it will come out like pate and you have to force the meat through :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS