Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: change of plans  (Read 3965 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
change of plans
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:30:01 pm »
Hello everyone,  I haven't been on in quite a while because we had made the decision to move to Australia.  However, plans have changed.  We are now staying in Scotland and I am having a variety of mixed feelings about it.  We re-homed most of our animlas (dogs, cats, chickens, goats, rabbits, guinea pigs) and of all of our decisions that is the one I am struggling to accept really.  I know they are all happy where they are and it was necessary to find good new homes when I did but I have always believed we have a responsibility to our animals and so am struggling a bit with guilt. 
However, life must move on.  I don't want to go into the details of why we aren't moving but am glad the decision has finally been made and we will stay together as a family ( ex wifes and husbands and children from previous marriages always complicates things slightly).
So, we are going to try to stay in the house that we are in and start slowly building our stock back up.  The Oz plans have been a bit of a financial drain so it will be slowly and surely on up from here.
If anyone knows of any 2nd hand items for sale that might be of interest (coops etc) we would certainly be interested.  Also some POL hens.  I will contact others of you seperately with regards to other things we might be looking for.  I am hoping the forum is as friendly and helpful as it always was and that you will welcome me back into the fold. 
Looking forward to participating again x x

HappyHippy

Re: change of plans
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:56:11 pm »
Of course you're welcome back in the fold  ;) :thumbsup:
Sorry things haven't worked out with the move but Oz's loss is our gain  :thumbsup:

I'll keep my ear out for coops and chooks - Lanark markets' poultry sales normally have a few coops and runs (I've not been to Inverurie or Stirling sales - but they're bound to be the same) but hopefully someone here will have a redundant one to get you going.

Would the people who've rehomed your pets not be willing to give them back ? I'm sure they'd understand since you're not moving that the circumstances are different now ? Maybe worth a think about asking at least - they can only say no.......and might even say yes  ;)
Welcome back
Karen x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:37:00 pm »
Welcome back  :thumbsup: it must be heart wrenching going through finding suitable homes believing emigrating  is on the cards then finding you aren't going  :bouquet:

I agree with happy hippy, try contacting these people and finging out how they settled in, some may not have settle quite so nice as hoped and you may find retrieving them the better option.

Hope all goes well with getting things back up and running  :fc:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:38:16 pm »
Hi Mel,

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for going abroad, but I for one am glad you will be staying here. If you are looking for goats again let us know- but as HappyHippy says it may be worth speaking to some of the people you rehomed to.

Also, if you want guinea pigs- I can give you six for free this weekend!

Beth

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:45:19 pm »
If you dont find anything before, Inverurie (Thainstone) rare and minority breeds sale (incl chicken equipment) is on 1 Sept - see post in Events.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately getting the dogs and cats back isn't an option :-(  we have just accepted it and now have to move on.  Beth, we will be looking to get goats and I was going to contact you directly to see what you had availablt this year.  If you want to PM me to let me know that would be great. I am feeling positive for the most part just eager to get going and the next time my husband makes an outlandish suggestion, he'll be getting told where to stick it haha

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »
Ooh, answered on the marketplace post instead of this one!

Hope it all works out for you :wave:
Little Blue

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
Australia is a VERY long way from home. Good luck for your alternative venture :fc: :) :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:18 pm »
Hi Melanie - welcome back, and I am sorry it didn't work out. But at least it looks as if you haven't yet sold your house? So you have got a base from which to start again. I have got the incubator on just now with (mostly) Maran hens to hatch, depending on the ratio female/male there could be some chicks available, probably September (off heat and ready to go outside).

I do have Arabella's sister sort of available, who is currently being milked after she produced a single female in April. She would be ready to be mated again this autumn, but could be milked until about 2 months before kidding.

PM me if you are interested.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 07:45:58 pm »
Welcome back! Went past your house the other day and was thinking about you.

There's a poultry sale on at Forfar market on 26th July, if that's any help.

And it means your we lassie can show goats at the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival  :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:28 pm »
I've got loads of Muscovy ducks(lings) to sell and am coming up to Rosemarys bash above if you want me to bring some.  Check forum marketplace.  Nice you are staying, still like the sound of australia myself though....
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS