Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bamboo  (Read 4125 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Bamboo
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:02 am »
Any ideas how to kill Bamboo. It's trying to take over the world ::) . It has managed to kill a (box, I think) hedge. So standing close to 2 meters high and 20 meters long and about a meter wide, the boss in her infinite wisdom decided we were taking it out yesterday. So now the dead box hedge and bamboo is all cut off at ground level and the chicken wire fence we found has been removed. We know the bamboo will just grow again. So advice on killing would be great.

deepinthewoods

Re: Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:35 am »
i think its a dig it out job, it will keep coming back.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:05:06 am »
Thanks deepinthewoods
I was really hoping no one would come back with that answer  :innocent:
but I had a horrible feeling that would be the only way to deal with it. 

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:56:05 am »
I used to keep taking a large chunk out every year and give it away, (have you seen the price of potted bamboo in the shops!!) two years ago it died  :(

Ian

Mel

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »
I'd buy a few roots from you Bert :thumbsup:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »
Shoots are edible... ;)

Reading up on growing it for food, they did say you could get a rhizome barrier to stop the spread - this implies the root system is relatively shallow, so although it's a digging job it's not like trying to tackle horsetail or something...

Do you know what species/type it is?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 07:03:44 pm »
right you can kill it chemically but it takes ages

whenever there is new green growth spray it with a glyphosate based weed killer (remember this kills everything so don't splash on stuff you care about) keep repeating every few weeks for months and months and eventually it will die..

remember it is only absorbed through fresh new growth!!!

digging it out as much as possible speeds the process up a lot but usually you need to get chemical with it to finish it off!!!

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »
I'd buy a few roots from you Bert :thumbsup:

When I dig it out I'll save you some. Not going to be dug out for a few week, due to fat,black fingers  :innocent:

Do you know what species/type it is?

No idea at all. All I can tell you is it's variegated and it doesn't  grow very thick (no good for Canes)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:25:00 am »
We have some too - it is very vigorous.  Someone told me last week it is expensive to buy - you could advertise it cheap if they come and dig it out themselves?  I think you're limited in neighbours your way though...
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:02:44 pm »
if your canes are too thin to use individually tie 3 together to make 1 thick cane
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS