Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Sheffield  (Read 3553 times)

sanman

• Joined May 2009
Hello from Sheffield
« on: May 10, 2009, 07:06:08 pm »
Hi

My name is Mark.  I have wanted to have a smallholding for a number of years.  I have managed to lease about 6 acres of land from a local farmer and am in the process of creating a community smallholding.  About 30 of us will work to raise pigs and poultry for meat as well as grow veg.  We will donate a percentage of our surplus to a local charity and will sell the rest to raise money to fund the ongoing costs of the smallholding.

Wish us luck!

Cheers
Mark

sandy

Re: Hello from Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:36:04 pm »
Sounds great, hope all pull their weight as that many people will be difficult for harmony and equality all the time!!! you will certainly learn a lot from the experience, hope it goes well, we will be here sharing experiences.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:41:42 am »
Brilliant, love the idea of donating to charity too.  What type of pigs are you considering, what breed chickens.  And good luck.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:35:15 am »
Sounds great Mark!  It's a big undertaking but good luck with it all.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:20:28 am »
Hi

We are thinking of Oxford Sandy and Blacks although are not averse to any of the rare breeds.

As for chickens we haven't decided yet although Sasso are the front runner.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:15:00 am »
hi mark, sounds like you will have a great time with your project. I am also from sheffield. If you want to visit to look at my menagerie you are welcome. i have two osb x gos gilts at the moment and a variety of chickens. I have some sassos planned too. It's good to network, swapping info and contacts. i wish you great luck.
carl

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:53:43 am »
Hi from me too Mark,

I'm another one in the Sheffield area.

I think I've read about your project on another ( local) forum.

All the best with it.
Diane
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

Ginny B

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Tasmania
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
Hi Mark ... Hello from Sheffield as well, but I live in Sheffield Tasmania and can't tell you howmuch I have already learnt from this site ... good luck
Ginny

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:52:05 pm »
Good luck with the project. I will watch your progress with interest. I take it this is not your living?

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:36:49 pm »
Hi all

Many thanks for your best wishes.  This is very much a hobby for us all but we have a shared passion for good food and hope to produce a great deal of our own.

Carl

It would be great to meet up and discuss opportunities for working together.  If we both want Sassos then it makes sense to try and get them delivered togther from the same source and save on delivery charges etc.

I'll try and keep evryone updated on the progress of the project.  However I will be away for the next two weeks for a well deserved rest.

Cheers Mark

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS