Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats - escape to the country  (Read 6569 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Goats - escape to the country
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:07:08 pm »
Did anyone see Escape to the Country today? I was doing my ironing and it was on in the background...a couple wanted to buy somewhere in Bucks with land for their new venture into goats.
Turned out she wanted pgymies and the info given out by lovely Alasdair threw me a bit...he said "pgymy goats make the perfect goats for those seeking self sufficiency as they can keep you in milk all year round" he went onto say "goats need worming every 12 weeks as routine, hoof trimming and ..."something else which I forget now. He said its ok as you can get your vet into do it if you aren' t keen (?!)

I didn't know you could get milk to keep you year in and out from a pygmy?! I don't worm mine routinely every 12 weeks! In fact, I thought that was bad practise to over worm?

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Goats - escape to the country
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:11:46 pm »
Didn't see it but I only worm my pygmy's 2 x a year and was going to worm count next time to check if they needed it. Re milk - well I guess if you don't go through too much milk ........ honestly I do have one goat that does give what I would consider quite a bit for a pygmy but it would be laughable by dairy goat standards - I'd say a pint 2 x a day
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:13:05 pm »
It's the same accurate info they always give like "your small garden backs onto a field , if you ask the farmer they WILL rent / sell it to you, let you excercise your dogs etc !" yea' right dream on. :innocent: 

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:32 pm »
So can you milk your pygmy's then? I seriously didn't know that it was possible, I know i struggled with Vanna's tiny teats when she came into milk but they are huge now I assumed that diddy goats would have tiny udders/teats and would be nigh impossible?
They actually did that in today's programme Tiz! they said "here's the paddock...you can rent it as an extra...even though you are going to be over budget on this house..." haha!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:58 pm »
He doesn't know any of the info - the production team tell him what to say 10 mins before they start filming, and they are not always accurate!! I know that because we were on Escape to the Country 3 years ago, with him as a host, and he knows nothing before he walks in the door, so its a bit of info and a bit of ad-libbing!!  :innocent:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »
the production team tell him what to say 10 mins before they start filming,

And they (who I would describe as being not much more than kids out of Uni) know SFA as they came to look at our house (twice) to look at including in the programme. They then worked out it was in the wrong county!

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »
Sounds about right! We wish we had never got involved to be honest - they made us take ALL our animals out of the house!  It was sooooo much hassle for nothing.  Goodness knows how the estate agents managed to talk us into thinking it was a good idea.  Never again!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »
I was on it last year too! They asked ME for the info about goats and soap making though and they kept it quite factual. Maybe things have moved on a bit which is good

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:31 pm »
De fleaing was the other necessary routine maintenance job. I have never de flead a goat, de lice occassionally maybe. It was stated that these were miniature pygmys. That confused me a bit. The worse was that they wanted too much for the money they had. I would think she wouldn't have the stamina for goats if she wasn't able to last until the end of the programme! Oh, and she wanted a donkey too. Two donkeys please!!! never a lone one.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:03:00 pm »
That was it!! de-fleaing!!  I could just see the couple getting more and more fed up as the programme went on...all these houses that seemed lovely but..oops sorry out of budget  ::) 
And I admit, I giggled at the last 'house' I honestly thought they were seriously showing them that (not knocking it down) the graffiti just made it for me  ;) [size=78%] [/size]

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:44:12 pm »
Some days I think I might be on a different show. Escape from the country!! ;D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:26 am »

And I admit, I giggled at the last 'house' I honestly thought they were seriously showing them that (not knocking it down) the graffiti just made it for me  ;)

I just switched on as that last 'house' came on, they didn't seem very impressed, with anything going by what was said,
What was wrong with her?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:35:24 am »
I think she had "fedupwithyoushowingushousesthatwedon'tlike-itis"  ;D   the grim realisation that their budget didn't quite meet their dream house and he was far tooooooo choosy. Didn't like high cistern toilets, didn't like big taps, didn't like Barns  ::)   Eat yer greens man and learn to love life!!

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 08:26:49 am »
That programme makes me laugh cos they are always going over budget and love the comment about renting the field as well.

I can't see many of the people on there, actually buying any of the properties they are show.  I do like it though as I love those types of programmes, because I am just soo nosy! lol

Helen

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:48:59 am »
The people they bought here to meet my goats and learn about goat keeping/soap making didn't even want to move to worcestershire! they'd just not done a programme in this county for a while and dragged this poor couple in  ;D
He had NO intention of having goats as he was scared of them, she had only said Maybe we could have goats and it was grabbed upon as a programme!
I think they moved to Wales in the end...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS