Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglet Weights  (Read 4334 times)

kitchen cottage

Piglet Weights
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »
I have Essex Pigs (and two Tamworths for bacon).  The  piglets were 11 weeks on Saturday.  I've been feeding sow nuts with a bit of extra bread if I'm given it and some bananas.  I put my pig tape measure on them today and they are varying between 26 and 30 kilo's,  because of the weather I'm concerned about getting them up to weight.  They are outdoors with access to forage at the weekend.

Where do I find a chart of pig weights?

How do I know whether they are doing well or badly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the great composto

Re: Piglet Weights
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »
Is this the sort of chart you were looking for?

kitchen cottage

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »

Not really.  I did find something like it but it was really something that gave me a weight range per pig and, perhaps, linked to the breed.  I need to get to about 65-70 kilos  by about October and I am hoping I will get there..... The chart I found said 56 lb at 11 weeks.... so I thought I wasin the right ballpark!  ;D :fc:

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 10:25:14 pm »
Because you got me interested can I have another go?

I would be surprised of the chart would be breed related though.

I am a novice but does this chart help?  (if not then I will just go sit in the corner)

http://www.thepigsite.com/stockstds/17/growth-rate

kitchen cottage

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:59:04 am »
sorry, I went to bed!

I can't see my Essexs' getting to the 100KG mark.

I found one for Berkshires which I suspect is closer.  I haven't done weighing before so I just want to make sure I'm getting it right  ;D

I think they are actually in the "zone" at thye moment.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:51:02 am »
Yes I  would say they are doing fine, by October they will be ready to go. Where did you find the chart for the Berkshires?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

kitchen cottage

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:07:55 am »

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:42 am »
Goodness, the article on the Berkshire site, relating to all rare breed pigs not just Berkshires, has completely thrown me.   I wish I had known about it before - the feed amounts they recommend are massively lower than the classic formula of 1 lb per month-age up to 6 months.   Very interesting indeed, and I think I will now adjust all my feeding programmes accordingly with a view to ending up with finished pigs that hopefully have back fat at 19 mm and under, something I have only so far achieved in two pigs ever.   Thanks for posting that link - Tamsaddle

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:09 am »
Thanks KC never noticed that on there before. ::)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:03 pm »
interesting that the source of the feed chart is the rbst       anyway   your pigs should achieve your intended weight by October  as that is 40 kilos in 80 days  so 500 grammes a day :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS