Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying a spinning wheels  (Read 21816 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Buying a spinning wheels
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:29:20 pm »
Hi

I went to Woolfest and got the spinning bug. I had a go on a few wheels and found that I can't use a double treadle to save my life, but seemed much better on the single treadle  :-J.

However I have no idea where to look at buying one. I tried ebay and amazon but was a little overwhelmed.

What do I need the wheel to come with? I take it I need bobbins but is there anything else? Does anyone know of a good online supplier or even a brick and mortar place in the Edinburgh/Boarders/Glasgow area?

Thank you in advance!

Dans - having fun with her drop spindle in the mean time
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Buying a spinning wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:35:09 am »
Scottish Fibres is near the ski slope.

:wave: You are welcome to have a look at my aunts wheel when you come here - it is available.........(Ashford Trad)   I also have three wheels you can try  :) :) :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:47:00 am »
 :o

I will certainly take you up on that offer! Sam will check tomorrow if he can come on Friday (his boss was on holiday) are we still ok to come?

I'll look up Scottish fibres in the mean time!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:47 am »
Hi Dans

So glad you got the bug, I keep thinking there must be safety in numbers...  ;)

Your basic requirement starter pack is a wheel and three bobbins, nice to have is a Lazy Kate (but they're easily mocked up) and a niddy-noddy (ditto.)   You will probably want hand carders and other bits and bobs in due course, but you can buy prepared fibre so that's not essential.

Did you decide whether you favoured a saxony (wheel to the side of the flyer and bobbin) or a castle-style (flyer and bobbin above the wheel)?   Do you know whether you are likely to want to transport your wheel a lot, or only use it at home?  Is floorspace an issue at home?

Several of us on here are members of our local Guild (of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers); my local one has wheels it can loan out to new members while they learn and decide what wheel they want to buy for themselves.  Note that if you have a nice local Guild, you are likely to want to transport your wheel more, to take it to Guild meetings etc!  You may find a secondhand wheel through your local Guild too.

Are you thinking of buying a brand new wheel or a secondhand one? 

If new, forestfibres on eBay seem to supply most brands of wheel at sensible prices http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ForestFibres/Wheels-/_i.html?_fsub=716629014&_sid=89371294&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322, and deliver free (though do check it's still free to Scotland.)  Wingham Wools http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/eqp_spinning.php are also worth a look - they do Ashford and Kromski.  P & M Woolcraft http://www.pmwoolcraft.co.uk/html/browse.php?CatID=5 do Louet wheels too, also their own make and Majacraft.

Others will no doubt come along and suggest their favourite online vendor.

Secondhand, Ashford Traditional and Travellers come up on eBay very regularly.  Here's a nice Traveller on eBay near you right now:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashford-Spinning-Wheel-/320941266484?pt=UK_Crafts_OtherCrafts_Spinning_Weaving&hash=item4ab9971634
and the seller is also selling several accessories that would be useful too.

Wheels do get advertised on preloved, too.

You can also keep an eye on Loom Exchange http://www.theloomexchange.co.uk/spinning-equipment/and, better, ask on ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/uk-spinners/1295775/

I'd advise you to get a wheel from a spinner or a store, or find a spinning friend to take along with you, if buying secondhand.  They'll know what to look at to see if the wheel's okay or not.

I enjoyed finding my own wheel so much, I haven't stopped buying them up!  I snap up all the reasonably priced ones that come up on eBay in my area, get them running well and then sell them on.  I get a kick out of getting them spinning nicely and then finding them a nice working home.  At the moment I've only bought Ashford Traditionals, as I am very confident that I understand them and can do any jobs that are needed (or find people to help me if it's a new one to me) but it's only a matter of time before I get a Louet S15 or something else.  Those Haldane's look intriguing...  ;)

Dang, I just typed all that and Juliet's Aunt's Traddy is still available.   ::)  Let us know if you're still looking after your visit to Wester Gladstone  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:37:40 am »
Well done Sally - lots of info, good links  :notworthy:   ;D :wave:

Definitely still ok from this end for Fri Dans.  Bring wellies  :gloomy:   :D

My aunt's wheel is single treadle, as is mine.  I also have an Ashford Traveller which is double treadle, Scotch tension,  and a big Lendrum Saxony wheel which is double treadle and double drive - lovely to spin but takes up a lot of space.   So a couple to have a play on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:42:18 am by Fleecewife »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:02:51 am »
It's a great idea to try them out -  what suits one doesn't suit another and so on.

The great advice I got was to make sure what I bought was 'flexible' ie it would suit me as a beginner and allow me to progress too.

Oh wow, Fleecewife, a Lendrum Saxony <green eyes>. Though I have absolutely no need of one (I have the original Lendrum DT, which does everything fine) I am hankering after a big saxony. The Lendrum, or a Timbertops. Or maybe an old Norwegian flatbed. I can't afford one either but it doesn't stop me dreaming  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:38 am »
Hi Jaykay - I didn't 'need' one either  ;D  but I hankered and hankered and eventually when a big anniversary came along, so did the Lendrum  :eyelashes:   The big wheel does make for majestic spinning  :love: .  The three well-splayed legs make for frequently stubbed toes  :'(    You are welcome to have a go when you visit  :thumbsup:  (spinning - not stubbing your toes)

The wheel I use the most is the Ashford Traveller.  I have never spun on any other wheel types than Ashford and the Lendrum - and maybe I shouldn't or that hankering would start again  :o

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »
Hark at you lot all geeky about your spinning wheels  :innocent:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:35 pm »
Geeky about spinning wheels, spindles, scythes......and I'm sure there must be other things if I could think of them  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:34:10 pm »
Hark at you lot all geeky about your spinning wheels  :innocent:
Never been tempted Rosemary?  :eyelashes: :-J
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »
Rosemary is probably worried that she might get addicted like the rest of us  ;D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:58:22 pm »
Rosemary is probably worried that she might get addicted like the rest of us  ;D
Sally

I'm jealous - I have two left feet and am the complete opposite of ambidextrous. ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 08:15:38 pm »
Sally

I'm jealous - I have two left feet and am the complete opposite of ambidextrous. ;D

Rosemary - If you can drive a car you can spin on a spinning wheel. ;D

Dans - almost all new wheels now come with a double treadle, and I would think are much easier to use, allow more control of the wheel (stopping and starting) and are less tiring as you are doing less threadling with both legs.

When I started I did the "right" thing and sat on a normal chair (same height as one of those fancy spinning chairs, I measured), but would end up with a very sore back within a few minutes of spinning... I now sit on my lower armchair or the sofa and no more back problems - so just make sure that you find a comfortable working height.

I am a devoted fan of the up-right Lendrum (nice modern look which is more my thing as opposed to the traditional, wood turning one), if I am hankering after another wheel it would have to be one of the top notch Schacht ones.... but yes you can only use one at a time and no big birthdays/anniversaries etc coming up unfortunately.... ;D

Dans - Are you in Edinburgh - they should have a well organised guild which you could join.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
yes you can only use one at a time

Ohhhh, Anke - you should know better ...

BH tells everyone I'm getting an extra arm grafted on so I can make use of all these wheels... so with a tip from a friend  :wave: I found and showed him this:
spinning on two wheels

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
Oh my goodness.  One wheel is plenty enough for me  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS