Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fancy rats looking for their forever home. Somerset, transport possible  (Read 3394 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Yes I know, normally we are all trying to rid ourselves of rats, but pet ones are different.

I have recently started a small animal rescue, and have had surrendered to me the most adorable pair of black berkshire fancy rat boys. They are some of the tamest ratties I have ever known and are silly tame. They will come out of their cage willingly for fuss and snuggles.

Please if anyone out there is after a wonderful pair of rats, think of these guys. Accommodation can be included, and food and accessories/toys will all go with these boys :love: :love:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:27:21 pm by colliewoman »
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: Fancy rats looking for their forever home.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »
I'm tempted, where are you?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:02:34 pm »
Good practice for your terrier Lynda :innocent:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »
I'm usually trying to keep rat numbers down but I'll tell you this story.
A neighbours child had a pet rat and very dear she was. A friend had another. Could first child look after friend's rat whilst he was away? Is it another female? asked parent. Of course!!
The result was a litter of baby rats one of which was given as a 1st. birthday gift to my younger daughter.(she is now 32)
I made her pick it up when it needed cleaning out etc :-[ :-[ :-[  BUT, to my surprise, this little creature became one of our best loved pets. The sight of her sitting up with a baked bean between her paws is etched forever on my mind.
She spent a lot of her day in my jumper sleeve, appearing at the neck to frighten the postman :o At other times she lived in a plastic tank in a corner of the living room where she was loved by all.
When she eventually died of old age it was as though a light had gone out in that corner and come what may it never came on again.I think of her quite often.
So, though I don't want another pet rat I would reccomend one to anyone,only don't look after anyone elses ;)
I hope you find lovely homes for them.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
In my pre-smallholding, pre-cats days I used to have pet rats too and really like them. They were friendly and smart. Bit ironic now that I poison wild ones :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:55:49 pm »
In my pre-smallholding, pre-cats days I used to have pet rats too and really like them. They were friendly and smart. Bit ironic now that I poison wild ones :-\
Ditto.

I entered Cecil in the 'Unusual Pets' class at my school fete; after the judging he came around the fete with me, tucked in the nape of my neck, concealed under my hair.  Except, that was, for his tail, which added texture and colour to my own long tresses at the back...

So it was that after chatting amicably for a few minutes with my favourite Maths teacher and his wife, as I turned away, Mrs Maths gasped, pointed, managed to say, "She's got a ... got a..." and passed straight out.

I was always getting in trouble at school and could hardly ever see what it was I'd done that was so wrong.   :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »
Collie woman, our boys are after a pet rat. We look at them every time we go to the Pet store but I won't get some until our chinchilla dies as I've no cage ( and chinchilla is nearly 19 years so expected him to be gone sooner than this  :love: ).

Where are you exactly, I'm near Durham.

Edited to say 'and refuse to buy animals from a pet store'
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:56:53 pm by Mammyshaz »

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:26:48 pm »
I am in Somerset, but a rat train can probably be organised through my rescue connections to get these guys into their new forever home.

Mammyshaz, I would not be prepared to split these 2 up but if you would consider 2 that would be fab.

Omnipeasant, My husband is travelling to Narbeth next weekend as is well used to detouring for small furry things to be collected/rehomed.

If interested peeps could pm that would be fab, and please don't be offended if these 2 aren't destined for you. There will be 2000 more looking for a new home every day.
So if serious I could match up any new rat owner with rescue rats :love: :love:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »
Good practice for your terrier Lynda :innocent:

BAD TIZAALA!!![size=78%] [/size]get in your basket!! ;)
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS