Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Indian Runners and chickens together??  (Read 4078 times)

garrybaldi

• Joined May 2009
Indian Runners and chickens together??
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:06 pm »
Hi Folks

I've had a look around previous posts but can't find a definitive answer so apologies if this seems like an old question from a new member.

I'm looking at getting 3 chickens (one for each of my girls) which will effectively be pets for them and an egg supply for all of us. However in looking around for these my wife and I have fallen for black Indian Runner ducks! As a result we are now going to get a pair and plan to keep them in the same area as the chickens. We have a fenced off area in the garden with small fruit trees which is about 150m2 so should be big enough but I was hoping that we could keep them in the same house at night. I appreciate that the chickens will roost on perchs and the ducks will stay on the floor but can anyone advise if this is a good or bad idea and any potential problems it may pose. I used to keep bantams and chickens when I was younger but the ducks are something new so I'm a bit unsure.

Any advise would be greatfully received, thanks. Garry.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Indian Runners and chickens together??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:03:53 pm »
I've kept ducks and chickens together all the time I've owned them - since 2001 - without any problems, and can't really think of any there might be, except that ducks make a terrible mess - everything is ALWAYS muddy, so the chickens drink muddy water unless you can give them a drinker the ducks can't get at.  Not sure how though - I've never managed to find one.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

garrybaldi

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 06:54:10 am »
Do you keep them in the same hen house/shed? Most places I've looked seem to sell either hen houses or duck houses, nothing specifically for both. I think I may have to opt for a hen house and then make some modifications for the ducks.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 12:48:42 am »
I've never kept ducks and chickens together in anything other than free range. However, I see no reason why you can't do it if the space is big enough. You might be better off just getting a garden shed, and then you can add perchs and something for a nesting box for the hens. An old wooden drawer or wooden box on the floor would do as a nesting box. And the ducks can live on the bottom quite happily.

I have kept ducks in one side of a house, and hens in the other. But the partition didn't go all the way up to the roof, so the hens would perch on top of that above the ducks. Never any problems.

I can definitely understand you falling for black Indian runners. I have a pair of white ones just now, but I've love some coloured ones as well. I think we might look for some mixed coloured eggs to hatch this year.

Beth

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:43:12 am »
The only thing I can think off that might be an issue is door size and height of the door off the floor. Ducks need a wider door to avoid damaging them selves in the mad rush to get out each morning,and if the henhouse was raised up off the floor,then you'd need a shallow inclined ramp to avoid damage to their legs.
 An easy duck house is a barrel turned on it's side,propped so it won't roll and with a door cut into one end,simples!  ......Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

garrybaldi

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:28:51 am »
hi folks, thanks for the replies. I think I will look at possibly making something separate for the ducks myself as it seems to be a bit more staright forward inside. Cheers, Garry

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS