Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What make of hurdles are these?  (Read 7671 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
What make of hurdles are these?
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:14 am »
Up till now I have bought my hurdles (in 2's and 3's when I have the cash) from the local agri merchant - they are the ones that link together. I recently bought some second hand from a lady selling up - I've seen them at shows they use a long pin to 'pin' the 2 hurdles together. Can anyone tell me what make these are and if you would know where I could purchase 4 replacement pins - that would be really helpful - as google doesn't know - thanks
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

robert waddell

Re: What make of hurdles are these?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:49:19 am »
make the pins up  :farmer:

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:57 am »
What diameter are the pins? bamboo canes could be a cheap alternative if they fit  :thumbsup:
Jon
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:31:56 am »
Robert and Kumquat - your both right - canes would probably do but I am using them to split a narrow area in two at the moment, ram one side Billy the other and the cane may snap during and argument. If I lived where I used to I would be straight down to Peddies and know I would get something - so I guess I should start at the agri place - they will probably have some sort of metal roll/tube/pipe thing
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:35:14 am »
Use road pins....they will fit  :thumbsup:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:36:46 am »
it is round bar you are wanting with a washer welded on top      you are not that far from peterhead  an engineering place or even a scrap yard might have something :farmer:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:39:41 am »
What's wrong with a coach bolt top and bottom ? just grease the threads to stop rusting.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:53:38 am »
Brucklay, there are many makes of hurdle, some use pins, some long loops, some rosettes; some manufacturers make several types - so yours could be one of several makes.  Around here I'd start with IAE but up where you are there's probably some other make is prevalent.  Your local agri merchant will know.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:27 pm »
The agricultural merchant I use sells both these and the loop ones - the ones with pins are more expensive.  Only one pin was supplied with each hurdle and the cost of an individual pin was ridiculous, about £8 (and they said they didn't supply them anyway!).  I am sure you must be able to get them made up much cheaper, or as someone has suggested use coach bolts.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »
As far as I know this company will sell you replacement drop pins -

http://www.agconproducts.com/index.htm

If you download the brochure I think you can see them clearly  :fc:
Metal Detectorist

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »
Thank you all for the very sensible sugestions - at £8 a pop I think OH will send me of to the scrappie!!! It's so anoying when you know what it is your looking for but don't know it's name. I guess 'drop pins' was pretty obvious but didn't come into my head this morning - cheers

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 06:49:04 pm »
Get your local blacksmith to make some up for you. Ours did some very reasonably having been presented with a sample to work from.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
Local yellow pages for metal workers/fabricators? if not able to help they may be able to suggest something?

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 08:48:31 pm »
I use those bits of rebar with a hooked end to hold tape on building sites

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 08:57:36 pm »
Yes, that's what dad uses too. I'm still on wooden hurdles and baler twine  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS