Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dexter Cattle  (Read 22857 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
Re: Dexter Cattle
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:39:18 am »
Just reading your threads and I gather you are now disregarding dexters as they are hard to handle. I have had them for 3 years now and find them easy to handle.
 I was a complete novice having never had cattle, I have to do most of the work with them on my own. I have  halter trained all my cows to make life easier. I show some of them and milk one of them I sell any spare heifers and the steers go in the freezer. I also think it depends where you get them from, I wouldn't buy steers or heifers without checking that they had a good temperament . They are easy calvers good mums and of course the meat is wonderful. I am not saying they are perfect but what cattle are? You have a lot of good breeders in your part of the country check them out before disregarding them completely. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sharon :cow:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 10:17:09 am »
Thanks Sharon :)

I have yet to disregard any kind of cattle, (apart from I would definitely prefer the smaller kinds!) I first looked at Belted Galloways as my friend breeds them, but then thought something a bit faster growing and less escape inclined...

I am open to suggestions, and I like how readily available the dexters are, the only information I couldnt find about them is are they ok to live outdoors all year round? and can you cross larger sires onto them?

I do prefer the chunkyness of the dexter over the dairy shape of the shetland, but I am doing research into this and trying to find a breed to suit :) I breed kunekune pigs which I suppose are the dexters of the pig world.

Are yours short legged or long legged? is there any difference apart from the legs? ie temperament etc

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 11:09:57 am »
We keep both types. The long are obviously best for meat as they are bigger. one of my short legs has a bit more attitude but otherwise there is no difference in temperament. There are always plenty of long legs around as the show people only keep shorts.
They are fine to live out all year as they are a very hardy breed

I have friends that have put angus, british blue and simms over their dexters but I like to keep mine pure. The meat is second to none with tremendous flavour and marbling.  :cow:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:11:45 am »
Thanks :) I think thats what is nice about the dexters, is that I dont have to cross breed them to get a good beefy animal

I just rang up the Dexter cattle society secretary and had a chat,
she gave me the number of a field adviser nearby and I am going to go and visit her this weekend to see her cattle and see about whether Dexter cattle can suit my future system or not.

In the mean time I will pay a visit to my friends Belted Galloways and im waiting on a reply about the shetlands,

I know this sounds like im going off everywhere with deciding, but I really want to get this right :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 12:39:07 pm »
I know this sounds like im going off everywhere with deciding, but I really want to get this right :)

Not at all, it sounds like you are doing a sensible amount of research and making sure you make the right choice for you. :thumbsup:

BH has a piece of advice about selecting stock.  Only ever buy an animal you like instantly on first sight - you'll always like that animal, and if you buy a one that you didn't quite take to at first, you'll always have a down on it when anything goes wrong.  I think a similar thing applies to choosing a breed.  It's not wrong to choose a breed because you like them, so long as there's nothing about them that wouldn't fit your system.  (Says she with her OSB pig, Jersey house cow, and Castlemilk Moorit sheep-for-meat-and-fleece  ;))

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »
I totally agree with Sally about buying something you like at first sight. Sounds like you're doing all the right things Good luck whatever you choose.
Sharon :thumbsup: :cow:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:08:27 pm by exmoorlady »

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 05:00:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice :) I will see how the visit goes and let you know,
I am visiting the land tomorrow and then the Dexter cattle on saturday  :)

So excited! :)

Sharon what is your stocking rate for your Dexters?

Jess

princesspiggy

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
we got shetlands and are complete cow beginners. they are v easy to care for and very hardy. i think u could sell shetland beef locally as a premium, rather than diluting it with other breeds.
its partly nature, as to how easy they come round to handling, but its alot down to how much effort u put in.
most are ruled by their belly which is a big help.
we can handle both of our girls but one is super tame as we are gona milk her. the other is as tame as she needs to be. if i had loads of free time she would be perfect too, but its not necessary here.

shetlands do have wide pelvis' tho and are reg crossed with other beef breeds and the calves are bigger than their mums pretty quickly.
we havent had chance to taste any yet...

its nice to support a british rare breed if they suit ur needs    :love:

check out
 www.shetlandcattle.org.uk
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:12:22 pm by princesspiggy »

ayrt1010

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 07:03:36 pm »
I started off with a cow and calf and now have 2 cows and 3 calves, they are my babies and are so friendly, they will do anything for food! They are simply great!!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 08:05:32 pm »
Thanks Princesspiggy :)

Only thing with pedigree shetlands as beef is that they seem a bit dairyish. so maybe not quite as beefy as a beef breed...

If I knew of any shetland herds in my area then perhaps I could plan a visit :) I am waiting for an email reply from the shetland cattle society :)

And thanks ayrt your cows sounds lovely :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

I would have thought Hereford on a Shetland (which is a dairy animal, I think?, just a more beefy type of a one than some? - more like the original Shorthorn and less like a Holstein) would be a good cross for good tasty beef - I'd certainly be interested to hear how it goes if you try it.

The Shetland is a dual purpose breed - although small it produces a good beef carcass. Technically, it is a beef breed since I can claim beef calf premium for my pure bred calves.

princesspiggy

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 08:45:09 pm »
heres a pic of my maya. shes not a skinny flyn.

The Shetland is a dual purpose breed -
triple purpose i believe as they were used in harness too.

choose which ever u are passionate about, helps u get out of bed in the morn!! lol

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:17 pm »

If I knew of any shetland herds in my area then perhaps I could plan a visit :) I am waiting for an email reply from the shetland cattle society :)

There are seven Shetland Cattle Breeders Association (SCBA) herds within about 50 miles of the Basingstoke area. I'm not sure who you mailed, but I would strongly recommend contacting the secretary of the Shetland Cattle Breeders Association. If you try that and don't get a reply, please PM me and I'll investigate for you.

Steve.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »
Hi Steve :wave:

I emailed to info@shetlandcattle.org.uk, I dont know if this is the secretary or not ??

I am visiting two cattle breeders this weekend, the dexters and another breed that has caught my eye ;)

I would be happy to visit some shetlands aswell, if there arent any too far away :)

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 09:19:29 pm »
Hi. Yes, mails to that address should get through to the secretary (Barry). As Rosemary noted though, he might be rather struggling with the elements at the moment.

Looking at the Shetlands For Sale section of the SCBA web site, there's a member in Buckinghamshire (just over 50 miles from the Basingstoke area) with a heifer calf for sale.

I have mailed a couple of other SCBA members near you to see if they would be willing to show off the breed. I'll PM you if I get a positive response.

Steve.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS