Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dexter Cattle  (Read 22895 times)

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
Re: Dexter Cattle
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 04:15:42 pm »
OK, I have now sent you a couple of PMs with contact details of SCBA members with Shetland herds within about 20 miles or so from you. They'll be happy to hear from you, and will no doubt be more than willing to show off their cattle so that you can see  the breed is like first hand.

Good luck.

Steve.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:06 am »
Thanks so much :) sorry I havnt replied, had a hectic weekend

I visited the Dexter cattle on Saturday and I loved them! they were so calm and easy to handle, and a nice chunky beefy cow but with short little legs, I really liked them :) so will see if I can get a visit in with the shetlands but I think my boyfreinds mind is pretty much made up about the dexters :)

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 10:24:54 am »
No problem. I have been known to miss PMs before on other forums; I wasn't sure whether they were easy to miss here, so I thought I ought to post a "Heads Up" in forum just in case.

Steve.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 10:38:42 am »
We've got a dexter x jersey as a house cow - we got her as an in calf heifer, so we were both novices!!
Her first calf was born dead and deformed - there is something to watch out for in pure bred dexters which causes birth defects - a genetic problem to do with 'short leg' and 'long leg' types.
Our first attempt with AI was a success - a rare breed Kerry produced a bull calf. He was very easy to manage and has just recently gone to market where he fetched a good price.
We tried again with the Kerry but was unsuccessful but with the advice of the AI lady we opted for a belted galloway which she assured us could get a dead cow in calf!! - she was right! We now have a yearling heifer who is a bit headstrong.
Last year we went for a Welsh Black which was successful on the first try and we've got a little heifer calf.
We got our semen through GENUS who don't normally list the rare breed cattle but the RBST have straws available - best to ask your local AI contact.
Good luck with whatever you choose - they have to be right for you!!

princesspiggy

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 12:33:45 pm »
No problem. I have been known to miss PMs before on other forums; I wasn't sure whether they were easy to miss here, so I thought I ought to post a "Heads Up" in forum just in case.

Steve.

u can link them to ur email, that way u dont miss them  :D

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:34 pm »
Yes, but [a] I didn't know offhand whether that's on by default (or whether it had been disabled) and  I have found the eMail notifications on some forums to be very unreliable.

[Edit] Not sure why that bit came out in bold - didn't mean to shout!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:16:57 pm by Blackmyre »

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »
Thanks for the info scotsdumpy  :thumbsup:

And it wasnt that I missed the PMs, its just that I didnt get to go online this weekend :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS