Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dispatch of cockerels  (Read 13022 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Dispatch of cockerels
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:23:52 pm »
OH did two this morning. We have far too many and have been putting off the evil day as we love our boys. They're so easy to handle but they are adding a burden to increasing feed costs and obviously inflict a bit of damage to the girls here and there plus the occasional scrap between them. Added to all this we have six dogs and the cockerels are an obvious option re feeding the pooches. You know that it's definately not 'animal derivatives' you're putting in the food bowls with the mixer biscuits!
OH was a bit distressed. He has dispatched before but it has never proved easy, mostly down to the fact that our 'humane dispatcher' is a pile of crap but also because the boys have tough necks which aren't easily pulled which is always the case when the gadget inevitably fails. Has anyone any practical advice on the matter with the kindest regard to the cockerels' welfare? We have a good 18 more to go yet  ::)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Dispatch of cockerels
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:48:45 pm »
Hiya  :wave:
It's never an easy task, especially if you've hatched them out yourself.  As you, I cannot do the final task, my OH has to do it. 
We have a dispatcher mounted on an old door-frame in an outbuilding, it's a very quick job - if you are holding the body, pull back slightly as you yank the dispatcher down - instant kill, though they do flap about for about a minute afterwards, we know this is only a nerve response - someone showed me this to be true by chopping-off the head of a cockeral & the body still thrashed about for over a minute afterwards.
My OH was full of bruises after dispatching 5 turkeys last Christmas. 
Remember to adjust your dispatcher, depending on the size of chuck you are wanting to cull.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:54:32 am »
I do mine with a broomstick.

Lie cockerel on a hard floor somewhere (well way from the others), put broomstick over neck, stand with feet on broomstick either side of cockerel's head, hold the cockerel's feet firmly and pull hard upwards.

It takes long to type than to do, it's quick and sure.

Killing anything isn't easy and neither should it be, but I find this works when you need it to.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:06:08 am »
When the time comes we are planning to place ours upside down in a traffic cone, shoot them in the head with an air rifle to stun them and then cut their heads off to bleed them. We plan to do this over a wheelbarrow containing sawdust/wood shavings which will then go on the compost heap.

Ha ha - easier said than done. We shall see.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:10:13 am »
Noooooooo.

Honestly, you'll do more hurt, fright and damage with the air rifle than by just chopping off their heads or pulling their necks. What you want is one stage, sure and fast.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:21:13 am »
Better to have a short bladed knife, razor sharp and cut the artery in the neck. If the knife is sharp enough they won't feel it. Hold the head gently but firmly downward for a quicker bleed. They will flap a bit in the last few seconds but soon over.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:30:37 am »
I think you have a point there Beewyched, perhaps the dispatcher gadget has never been set right. It's hard when you've not been shown how to operate a thing to use it correctly. I don't know if OH knows about the pulling back of the body so shall pass all that on. SQ, that's sounds terrifying, don't think we could do that method  :o  What we want is quick and effective. I think I ought to try personally but OH doesn't want me to have to. I don't want him to have to either. As you say Jaykay, it shouldn't be an easy thing ever to do but hopefully it can be done as well as such a thing is possible. Thanks everyone.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:40:57 am »
Shame you don't live closer I'd do them for you.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:23:33 am »
Oh - that was the method that was described on a previous thread on this forum..... by our esteemed leaders if memory serves me right....... I thought it was the law/welfare that the birds had to be stunned before they we're bled
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:19:49 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:36:29 am »
With the broomstick method can you pull too hard?  i.e pull their head right off and if so is it an issue?

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:45:08 am »
Cull, pluck, dress and rest in fridge for 2/3 days, no need to bleed chickens. Broomstick method is the most effective for LF cockerels, for bantams i do it by hand.

If you pull the head right off i can guarantee they are dead.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:59:56 am by Fowlman »
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:01 am »
hi its definately worth having a dispatcher
not pleasant to do but I find this ok (as much as the process is quick and no flapping and chicken/turkey is very calm :'( ) their neck goes in the bars (has a curve for the neck and just pull. it has a spring on it
we were given one by a friend/farmer
didn't realise they were so dear...... we have a cone for the turkeys and i'm sure you could make one
Mx

Mel

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 10:40:35 am »

Mel

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 10:47:44 am »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:00:20 am »
Thanks Leghorn
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS