Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune cross Saddleback - size estimate  (Read 13861 times)

robert waddell

Re: Kune Kune cross Saddleback - size estimate
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
Lyn your weights and ages are more attainable  by the majority  than the others quoted   perky is on 8 kilos per day with 11 piglets  some are pushing on and even in there mothers feed dish getting the crumbs   the last litter she was on 10 kilos a day and still losing condition
a solid weight is easier to carry than a live wriggling one
the weights that they are meant to achieve in the pre weaning it is a pity that they don't continue to grow to 120 kilos at six months  but they are not called kunnie kunnies (small and round) for nothing :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 08:05:51 pm »
Hi Robert  :wave:
Forgot to say - I change my girls over (gradually) to Sow & Weaner pellets about a fortnight before farrowing, but don't up the feed untill the piglets arrive.
OMG - 10kgs of feed - then I guess it's all proportionate to the breed - thinking of Rach's OSBs  ::)
As for Badger - well what can I say, I get what you mean, but he was definately heavier that a 20kg sack of feed - makes no difference to me as I have such a poor grip/back  :-\
& just to nit pick Kune Kune means fat & round  ;)
Personally I wouldn't want them to grow any bigger/heavier - that's why I love them  :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:14 pm »

a solid weight is easier to carry than a live wriggling one

ha, i compare them to a bag of feed too,, ;D ;D ,tho i have stood on the scales with them if needed.

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 08:14:21 pm »
i was being polite and not wanting to say the f word but to get back to the original post it would be a cross that could prove difficult to keep the fat of  unless you were wanting loads of fat for soap or roasting tatties in        you will need to make the effort to go to hatfield and see the kunnies there you will get to like the osbs as well ;) :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:51 pm »
i was being polite and not wanting to say the f word  ;) :farmer:
See that  :pig:  flying  ;)   ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:59 pm »
you posted before the weights of your pigs then sent me an e mail saying you had misread the scales and not to tell anybody which made a nonsense of the figures claimed :farmer:
I don't think I said not to tell anybody - but yes, I'd read pounds as kilos  ::)
That was Kkx OSB's that I thought had weighed in at 45Kilos at around 12 weeks (I think - I don't have time to trawl back through threads now) and I did say in the thread I thought it was wrong.

What I can I say - I made a mistake, obviously we can't all be as expert as you.
I bow to your obvious superior knowledge  :notworthy:  and I'll just leave you to hold court here

:wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 10:57:53 pm »
 :wave: karen :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 11:05:16 pm »

I don't think I said not to tell anybody

grass, bad boy  :innocent:   

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 11:14:41 pm »

I don't think I said not to tell anybody

grass, bad boy  :innocent:   
He aint that green  ;)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 12:03:00 am »
Thank you all for getting involved  :)

I have double checked my calcs in both pounds and kg and they came out the same.

I will keep a check on them over the coming weeks and see how they get on.

FYI. we purchased them from a local smallholding downsizing that had a surprise when they found that there saddleback had had his wicked way with the Kune Kune mum  :) - apparently was so desperate for the action he jumped the electric fence.

So, although not an intended cross we will see how they go ..... hoping they won't be to fatty (which is why I wondered if any one had done it before and had advice on slaughter times)

Thanks again

Chris
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

princesspiggy

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 12:23:38 am »
So, although not an intended cross we will see how they go ..... hoping they won't be to fatty (which is why I wondered if any one had done it before and had advice on slaughter times)

Thanks again

Chris

both breeds can run to fat apparently so keep them as slim as poss during last 6 weeks.  IMO   :wave: :wave:

fotos wud be great as i havent seen that x before... :wave:

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 04:57:03 pm »
Pictures attached  :D

we have 7 with the kune kune beards and 3 without
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

robert waddell

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 05:21:46 pm »
the pirie  pires are dominant if the boar has them               there faces look just like saddelbacks          but they do look short legged   and chunky like the kunnie       and the surprising thing is no rain /mud :farmer:

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 05:24:53 pm »
the pictures were from a week ago when we had sunshine  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »
they r sweet  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS