Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune cross Saddleback - size estimate  (Read 13828 times)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Kune Kune cross Saddleback - size estimate
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »
Hi All,

Its our first time with pigs and we have 10 kune kune cross saddlebacks.

I wondered what sort of size they may get to and whether they need as long as pure kune kune before slaughter.

I just did a rough weight (they are 6 weeks old) and they came out at an average of 23kgs based on the (L x G x G) divided by 13781 (cm)

69 * 68 * 68 = 319056 / 13781 = 23kg

Thanks

Chris
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:33:06 pm by coopers »
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

HappyHippy

Re: Kune Kune cross Saddleback - size estimate
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:20:03 pm »
That's around what our pure Kunekunes are at that age, and probably what most piglets weigh around the same time so I don't think you can gauge it from that  ;)

We had a litter of OSB x KK (OSB mum, KK dad) born last year and the offspring are tending more towards the OSB size so will slaughter earlier than pure KK's, but I couldn't/wouldn't be able to tell you how yours will go I'm afraid cos I've not had a saddleback cross litter. If I had to guess, I'd say they'll be ready at 6-8 months....maybe ? They might not weigh in at 85 Kilos liveweight, but they will be tasty  :yum:  Just watch their feeding and keep feeling their backbones to make sure they're not getting too fat  :innocent: 
Hopefully someone will be along soon who has done this cross  :thumbsup:  and will be able to give you a bit more info.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:05:56 pm »
I'll bump this one ...
Has NOBODY tried this cross?
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:52:27 am »
are you sure it is kilos not pounds    that is terrific growth for six weeks   but
Lyn is that osb x kunnie   or kunnie x saddelback   you are bumping :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »
are you sure it is kilos not pounds
Can't comment on coopers weights, but mine are definately in kilos (as weighed by the vet before castration @ 6weeks old)  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »
but Lyn is that osb x kunnie, or kunnie x saddelback you are bumping ? :farmer:
I think Lynne's bumping for answers  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:47:03 pm »
are you having a giraffe Karen  a kunnie at 6 weeks weighing the equivalent of a bag of feed      just imagine the growth rate you would get if you crossed with a Hampshire             copulation would be enlightening    it would have to be kunnie over the Hampshire :innocent: :innocent: :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:01:44 pm »
Nope, not having a laugh Robert  ;)
Granted some of the smaller ones can be 15/17Kg but generally they're all around 20Kg or above @ 6 weeks  :thumbsup:  Solid li'l things that they are  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »
this just does not stack up     small kunnies at 6 weeks are 15/17 kilos       that is more than Hampshire's are at 8 weeks      and all from minimalistic feeding and grass        the mothers must be like seals and milking of the blubber         theoretically they could be    180/200 kilos at 24 weeks  if they could maintain that growth rate but that would be bigger than a fully grown adult :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:38:45 pm »
Och Robert, believe me or don't - it's up to you  ::)   

We'll have 3 litters born within the next fortnight, you're welcome to come and weigh them yourself at 6 weeks old just so you can see for yourself - or if that's too much hassle for you I'll post a regular update on here for you don't mind in the slightest. (where's the halo icon Dan  ;) )
As a matter of interest, what weight were your Kunekune piglets at 6 weeks old ?

These mothers are NOT overfat, nor are they skinny, starved, poor hungry pigs  :-\ 
So you can stop with the insults auld yin  ;)   :sofa: :D  (just loving the dive for cover icon  :thumbsup: )

What do I need to do to convince you that just cos they didn't work out for you, doesn't mean they can't work for others....... ::)
Or are you just looking for another arguement since you're last one got locked ? Hmmmm  :innocent:

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:44 pm »
our 8 week tamworth weaners  were between 15kg and 22kg and were fed hard feed from 2 weeks. the heavier ones were good, long an sturdy.

do kunes get weaner pellets too, like other breeds?

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:30:37 pm »
we never weighed the kunnies as i do now in the three to four years we had them and i am led to believe that descendants of ours are now with you or have been
with three litters of them in the offing they will need to work for you
the reference to seals was a simile  seal pups are meant to be the fastest growing  young just on mothers milk
not looking for any argument the post that was locked i would have let run but it was bringing the forum into disrepute and not by me
you posted before the weights of your pigs then sent me an e mail saying you had misread the scales and not to tell anybody which made a nonsense of the figures claimed :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:07 pm »
Ok ...
Should I get involved in this  :innocent:
Alright ... here goes ...
Robert - I was bumping this as I was interested if anyone could get back to Coopers with any helpful info - surely he's not the first person to x KKs with Saddlebacks ???
I only have registered KKs & have not attempted a x (yet).  I don't usually weigh the piglets myself until they are 8-weeks old ( for Ivomecting) & I get a range of 11kg-22kg.  My vet does the castrations for me at 3-weeks & weighs them for anaesthetic & did mention that a couple were over 10kgs this time.
While sows/gilts are lactating, I for one & I know Karen too, increases mum's feed markedly - depending on size of litter this may mean 5kgs of feed per day at some stage.  The piglets usually start nibbling at feed from about 10 days-old.  They put on HUGE amounts of growth over the first 8 weeks, which slows down post-weaning.
I have just popped-out & tape measure weighed a litter sister/castrate who are now 13 weeks-old she is 29.46kgs & he is 18.11kgs.  Badger, the boar piglet at Lesmahagow this year, "escaped" (from within a pen, inside a byre - closing all the gates behind him, so his litter-mates couldn't get out  ::)  ) when he was 10 weeks old & "found" in a neighbours field (thankfully empty of stock - no standstill issues  :innocent: ) he definately weighed more than a sack of feed, no way could I carry him back, but I can lift a sack of feed  ???
Now I'm gonna post this before my broadband goes dodgy again, as I've written this twice already  :o
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:49:51 pm »

We'll have 3 litters born within the next fortnight, you're welcome to come and weigh them yourself at 6 weeks old just so you can see for yourself

Oh I do hope he does!   :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:14:49 pm »

We'll have 3 litters born within the next fortnight, you're welcome to come and weigh them yourself at 6 weeks old just so you can see for yourself

Oh I do hope he does!   :)
Me too  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS