Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing mushrooms  (Read 8112 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Growing mushrooms
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:28:02 pm »
I have relented and decided to try growing mushrooms again.

This time I am going to grow them in my compost bins. The compost usually goes in there in October of each year and then has another year in the bin. At this time of year tithe level has fallen somewhat so there would be plenty of space for the mushrooms to grow.

T&M are selling mushroom spawn for £7.99 for 100g and The Mushroom Box (via Amazon) are selling the same thing for £2.25 for 100g.

Why the difference in price?

Has anybody had any experience of spawn from either seller?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Growing mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:31:52 am »
I've just had a look at both web sites T&M and the mushroom box (direct, not via Amazon).
 Very impressed with the mushroom box site. Never heard of them before.
In answer to your question  on price. I can't tell you. But my guess is T&M are just another big company out to screw you. sorry to be so cynical  ::) .
 In answer to your other question on experience of spawn from either seller. No sorry I haven't. But I do have a couple of mushroom kits in the airing cupboard as we speak from Here
www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Special Offers/Mushroom Favourites Offer_448460.htm
 They seem to be doing well (they are doing what it says on the instructions so far anyway :fc: )
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:38:55 pm by Dan »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:52:27 am »
Bert

Thanks for your considered response. Very grateful.

I will have a look down at the local shop this morning and I will try the Mushroom Box spawn in the first instance if the local shop can't beat the price/convenience.

Glad to hear the kits from Dobies are doing well. You are a star. I have NEVER been successful with kits (but  think that's partly neglect I suspect  ::) ::) ). I am going to plant the spawn in my compost bins. They are not due to be emptied until October-ish so I've got the "summer" to see if I can get a crop.

:fc: :fc:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:58 am »
I shall be following this with interest as I've not had success with mushroom kits either but I love mushrooms  :fc:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:18:05 am »
I shall be following this with interest as I've not had success with mushroom kits either but I love mushrooms  :fc:
Ditto, good luck both.  I fancy some of those shitake impregnated logs, but they are dear.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:20:58 am »
I have just purchased some white button and portabella spawn from mushroom box. http://mushroombox.co.uk/

Apparently these mushrooms - despite being very popular - are in the "harder to grow" category and require already decomopsed/decomposing material to grow on.

This will be perfect as the compost in my bins already has a year outside before going in the bins and then another year in the bin so the compost in there now is at least 18 months old.

I'll take photographs  :fc: :fc: :fc:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:29:33 am by suziequeue »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:24:16 am »
Ditto, good luck both.  I fancy some of those shitake impregnated logs, but they are dear.

Ditto, ditto,  I love mushrooms and haven't had success with the kits.

Suziequeue, you have a lot us waiting with baited breath

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mel

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:30:35 am »
Mine never came up! :-\ I guess I shall have another go as like you all,love fresh mushrooms,thanks for the mushroom box link,I shall be using this :thumbsup: ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »
So I've got the spawn and looked up the really helpful growing guide on the Mushroom Box website. i finally understand what it's all about!!!

The spawn needs to inoculate the compost medium first and grow through it. Then, once the compost is full of mycelium (the little white fibre strands), THEN that's when you put a load of damp "normal" compost on top to encourage it to fruit into mushrooms.

My compost bins weren't suitable as they are too big, airy and cool so I decanted some of the mostly rotted compost into some old plastic sheep lick containers and mixed in the spawn. Need to have a firm fitting lid and they now sit tight for a couple of weeks for the inoculation process to take place.

So - I am now at the stage that I have been before with kits....... the point at which previous attempts have always failed......... :D

I'll report back in two weeks :fc: :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:36:20 am »
Very interesting, thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:32:33 pm »
just been to the mushroom box site - NOT dear!! Thanks  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  (50 dowels for £3.99) I shall be ordering those and look forward to seeing your results.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 12:51:08 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but we don't seem to have discussed grow your own mushrooms very much on TAS.

So how did this work out in the end?  Any update Suzieque and FiB?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 01:05:43 am »
Getting the compost hot enough for long enough is a big prpblem  , there are recipes on the internet these days   
 From my study days  when  I was hoping to be a foreman cum manager of a mushroom I seem to recall that  well wetted chicken muck with straw  as well as horse muck with straw  and gypsum are mixed and turned as per the Berkley 18 day hot composting method.

On the last turning inoculate the top layer and put a sterile quality sieved loam soil casing over at about one inch thick . always replace any damaged capping with new clean capping.

When the crop has been harvested  & you think that's it ....  if the weather or temperature is still favourable put just under 1/3 of a cup of table salt in a 10 litre  watering can  of warm water, stir to dissolve the salt then  using a fine rose  give the capping a fair wetting of the salt water .  The salt seems to reactivate the bed  enough mushrooms for you to get about 3/4 of the original size of crop .

Don't seal the mushroom container  find  something to keep out the light & tiny mushroom flies  but do use something that allows the higher humidity, ammonia and co2 gases to escape
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 06:52:56 am »
I have had a bumper crop of large white mushrooms in my greenhouse. It's my first year here so I wasn't the one who put the soil in the greenhouse bed but the mushrooms seem to love it! Only trouble is I haven't got round to identifying them yet so not sure what type they are! I'll have to wait until next year now

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 09:29:35 am »
I used to get spent mushroom compost from a local mushroom farm to put on my garden and regularly had a lovely crop of mushrooms from it :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS