Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and Pigs  (Read 9637 times)

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
Goats and Pigs
« on: June 30, 2012, 02:18:01 pm »
I have been offered some goats today from an animal sanctuary (we take quite a few of their farm animals - all for pets).  I have never had goats before, and have not done any reading yet until the books I have ordered arrived. 
My first concern would be being able to offer them suitable housing and grazing.  The piece of land that we would want them to go onto to help clear is an old marl pit, with a bit of grazing also.  The whole area is about an acre of scrubby land with lots of gorse and brambles.  The only problem is that my 2 Kune Kune pigs currently live here also.  Is there any way that goats can be kept successfully with pigs or is it a huge no no?? I am still waiting to find out more about the goats, but all I know at the moment is that they are a large mixed breed, (not sure yet it horned), and one is a female and one is a castrated male. 
I have a suitable separate stable for them, so that is not a problem.  My first worry as I say is the pigs?  My pigs have lived with other animals successfully in the past, and are fine with sheep (in their previous home), cats, dogs and Llamas, but I am not sure if goats would have any health issues also from living with pigs - are they copper intolerant like sheep?
In the meantime I will start reading up on the web, but if you have any thoughts you could throw my way I would be very thankful.  :wave:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Goats and Pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:32:50 pm »
They should be ok with the koonies, just watch the worm situation , make sure there is no foxglove, laurel, yew, rhododendron etc. goats need copper in their diet and they don't have a waterproof coat , so shelter is essential , shut them in at night with fresh water and hay, feet need trimming monthly,  find another goat keeper near you to help with things your not sure about, make sure your fences are good and high as they are escape artists and gate openers. :goat:

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »
That  would make life a little easier then, as the pigs don't seem to eat anything but worms! :)  Think we are fairly clear on nasty plants - although the foxgloves seem to pop up overnight! 
With regards to their feet, the stables we have are actually a huge complex of breeding boxes, with concrete floors (straw covered in used stables) and we have a concrete pathway and a concrete under cover lounging area for the pigs, complete with old sofas!!! (I know, its ridiculous, but saved taking them to the tip, and all our animals love it there!) I was hoping that the concrete area would possibly naturally file the goats hooves down slightly, and mean they might only need trimming every couple of months?  Seems to be that way with the pigs, but I can imagine goats are lighter on their feet that piggies?  Anyone else find this kind of flooring means longer periods of time between hoof trimming???
Thanks
 :thumbsup:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »
And I thought people spoil their dogs letting them on the sofa!

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:22:03 pm »
we haven't stuck a TV out there for them yet, or a kettle!  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:30:34 pm »
we had our boar kune in with  the goats til his "girls" were bigger...
 the biggest problem comes at feeding time - is there a way you can separate yours to feed, or put the goat food high up and the pig food low?

and be very careful with mineral licks - our goats are b*ggers for knocking them down, and we think that Murphy ate too much and made himself very poorly (dehydrated)

As there is plenty  of space, I think yours would get on just fine - there would be opportunity to "escape" if needed.
:)
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »
Mogwai our kune kune bred by Little Blue. quite often escapes into the paddock and enjoys a gallop round, coming back when she has had enough.  Unfortunately, Barney one of the pygmy goats does not like pigs it seems, and he has caught her a couple of times and butted her.  Once she ended up tipped upside down on the chicken pen, and squealed  until I hauled her out.  So my goats do not seem keen on pigs, but are not bothered if the pigs are in their own pen, and not in the field.

I think  you would have to ensure the fencing was very good, as pigs are good at rooting the netting up, and may well make an escape route for the goats ......and would the ground not get rooted up by the pigs, leaving nothing for the goats?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:22:01 pm »
If these are non breeding (and non-milking?) goats you don't need to give them much in the form of concentrate, a small handful in the morning before they go out would be nice. A lick in their o/night pen would also be enough and out of harms way for the pigs. Same for the pigs - feed them before the goats come out. But goats don't like mud, so any wallows the pigs make could upset the caprine ladies (and gents)...

Tall (preferably) electric top-wire fences would be best.

If you feed sugar beet shreds(soaked) to your goats (they do like them) make sure that the drinking water has some cider vinegar in it to prevent urinary calculii (stones) in the male. It's good for them anyway.

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:27:25 pm »
My DH is making noises about getting Golden Guernseys, and if so we will be keeping them in an adjoining field with pigs.    Never had goats before, but  I read  that they can be contained with electric fencing.  (Until we finish the miles of fence work still to be done!)  If they do escape, do they tend to roam far, or stay close to home? 

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »
Maggie, as long as there is a hedge with some hazell or willow  they will keep walking and brousing till darkness falls. :goat:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:31:27 pm »
I've got two weaners in a corner of the goat field, seperated by electric fence,  Two lines low to keep the pigs in and one higher to keep the goats out.  Seems to be working fine, the goats don't really bother at all except when I walk through with a bucket of pig food but they've realised now they're not getting it and just take it as the signal it's nearly time to go in and to go and wait by the gate till I come back.

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 06:34:09 pm »
My DH is making noises about getting Golden Guernseys, and if so we will be keeping them in an adjoining field with pigs.    Never had goats before, but  I read  that they can be contained with electric fencing.  (Until we finish the miles of fence work still to be done!)  If they do escape, do they tend to roam far, or stay close to home

We had a small corner of a field were the fencing was not up to scratch so we put up electric fencing across that bit, we kept it in very close tight strands and our goats ran staight through it and I swear they were laughing! I would never trust a goat in any area that was not very well fenced, I swear they can smell weakness.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:00 pm »
Just thought that if they turn out to be horned I would NOT put them into the same field as the pigs. You don't know anything about their past life, and with horns they would be a danger to the pigs.

Even without I would maybe see of you can settle them into their new surroundings in the shed for a few days and gauge their behaviour from that. Then short visits to the field under supervision and probably on the lead so you can pull them out quickly if they go for the pigs.

Just as they are rescue goats with possibly more trhan one previous home, I would take it very slowly.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:00 pm »
Mogwai our kune kune bred by Little Blue. quite often escapes into the paddock and enjoys a gallop round, coming back when she has had enough.

I can just picture her!!
  that's really made us laugh.... :pig:
Little Blue

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:24:40 am »
Thanks Anke, Tizaala and Trying!

I will have to employ delaying tactics then and sort out the fencing.  Once DH makes his mind up about something, he's on to it, only to find later down the line it was a big no-no.  I don't think the Golden Guernseys are horned though we do have horned sheep and I know the predicaments they can get into.  We would likely get very young ones so we can train them ourselves, and no more than 3, all female. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS