Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it possible to make hay by hand?  (Read 19007 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Is it possible to make hay by hand?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 07:48:10 am »
I reckon it will ping up with fresh green grown quicker than you ever expect, ours certainly does, and once the sheep go on it their dung will accelerate that process. You might feel mean for a day or two but there will be no shortage of food after a few days.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 07:49:53 am »
I'll be interested to hear how you get on drying your hay inside, Buffy.  Hereabouts I'm told we need sun and wind (or at least, breeze) to dry hay, or a fan to make a draught if barn-drying.  But we're a lot cooler and more moist up here, I suppose.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 09:02:35 am »
The majority of it is dry ( about 70%) its just that it was a bit thick in places an laid a bit heavy. Drying in doors is not ideal but we have a week of rain forcast so its better than leaving it out.
Our stables are in a block like a big barn which has lots of air circulation so I hope it will work. Basically its got two choices ;)  It should have been cut a week earlier really but I was in hospital so we have missed the very hot spell two weeks ago.
I will let you know how we get on with it but tossing it and turning it will be the only way to get the air to it.
The cut grass looks better for the rain and only half of each pasture has been cut so the sheep will have something to eat while it flushes through.

robert waddell

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:59 am »
sorry to disappoint you but sally is right with what she says      you will need a very good current of air blowing through your shed to dry it out and even then it wont dry out completely  as some will heat and go mouldy :farmer:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 09:56:26 am »
Its one of the things I love about over here....LOADs of scythes and people who use them (Sadly not me yet...the one I bought needs hammering then sharpening or so Im told and its on the 'to do' list)
round here its a lovely mix of the 1940's/50's and very modern high tec farming!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »
Local farmer makes for his sheep by hand, he builds the old fashioned hay stack and puts cover and nets over them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »
We have an Allen scythe, where the (3ft?) blade is across the front of a little engine, handles from the back. It's slow but steady, gives a good regular cut.
I started to make some hay last year, with rake and pitchfork, doing OK, then got a contractor in for the main fields, so didn't bother finishing mine, I wish I had, contractor brought a lot in still wet, goats sensibly won't touch it, but what do I do with it?. probably about 20-25 bales.

My thoughts on hand made hay.
It needs turning at least twice a day, rowed up before the evening damp, spread when dew dries off. Don't leave any long grass, spreading hay onto this seems to draw moisture out of the living grass, dampening the hay. needs longer than 2 days round here, like Sally, air is often damper in these parts (Pennines).
I have goat books which show a 'wigwam' (ash poles?)where you build hay round and up to make a high mound. I had some chestnut paling fence which I ran 2 lengths out, interlocking the tops to make a long tunnel, piled grass up and over that so air could get underneath and through. I still shook it up every day when it was dry, it was doing OK till I made the mistake of abandoning it for the contractors efforts. I think I'll try again this year, if it ever stops raining.
I also use the large box idea, again from a goat book. if you stamp it down in the box, pull and tie strings tightly (re-use baleband) it holds its shape, like a miniture hay bale.
It's a lovely feeling shaking the hay out on a lovely summer(?) day, with only the sound of sheep and a distant tractor. Unless of course there are dark clouds coming over the hills :(

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 06:14:49 pm »
I have a stable full of dry hay and another stable which had dry hay mixed with some not quite dry bits in it. This has now been turned and had the moist bits removed by tossing to sift out the lumps of green which are easy to spot. Hillbilly is quite right. The reason that I have some bits that didnt dry is that the topper left some strips uncut and these prevented the cut grass that laid over them from drying out fully.
Sallyint, you are right that wet grass will not dry indoors but the bits that I have had begun to dry so will be spread thinly on the stablefloor and turned. Any that is still holding sufficient moisture to heat up, yellow or moulder is disguarded and any that continues to dry out sufficiently gets added to the rest of the dry hay in the next stable.
Its all very time consuming I suppose but very rewarding at the same time. Though I'm not sure that using a topper counts as making hay by hand?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS