Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it possible to make hay by hand?  (Read 18957 times)

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
Is it possible to make hay by hand?
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:54:48 pm »
I have about 1.5 acres of long weedfree grass. My local paddock maintenance chap advises its not really worth trying to find a contractor to deal with baling such a small area
He is happy to top it for me though
Is it possible to gather up at least some of the grass and dry it in 'boxes' made from pallets with solid roofs?
We only used about 6 bales of hay last winter so if we could make a similar amount ourselves we could be self sufficient in hay
Or is it just too much hard work?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Is it possible to make hay by hand?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »
you could certainly make a few more than 6 bales before getting exhausted and abandoning the rest. But I would be tempted to cut it by hand (with a scythe), as toppers arent hay mowers (more violent and dont cut as close to the ground as a hay mower) and they bruise the grass quite a bit, which can lead to problems if you try to make hay as fermentation can be rapid.
Makes sure your bale containers are (i)raintight and (ii) allow a lot of ventilation (tricky balance to achieve outside of a building)
But theres no reason at all why you shouldnt make nice hay, much better than the stuff you can buy.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:07 pm »
Ok, I am interested in this.

More the scythe than the hay (I use too much to make hay by hand myself, though I like the idea of making some 'treat' bales for the goats  ;D)

But I am very sick of trying to start my petrol strimmer and then the noise when I use it, which I find stressful.

Can anyone recommend a good scythe for a 5'6" female and how hard is it to learn to do?

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:57:04 pm »
Oh yes I can Jay Kay.  I love my scythe - its beatifully light and totally set up for me (Im 5' 4")  Didnt take long to get the hang of as it comes with a really useful booklet (I wish I could afford to go on one of his courses mind you).  It's from http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk and Simon will sort you out with the right handle and blade/blades for your purpose (ideally a different blade for haymaking / rough weed choping).  I recon I could cut an acre or 2 no problem - but the turning and stacking would be a killer for me - but with a few mates (beer and a barbie for bribery).  Once youve got into a rythm (and as long as you stop to sharpen quite regularly), its very satisfying and theraputic. 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:32 pm »
Oh yes  :thumbsup: thank you  :-*

I'm going to get one. Mainly it'll be weed chopping for me too, I can't tell you how much I loathe that strimmer. I'm a real fan of quiet  ;D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:35:32 pm »
thanks for the link fib.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »
I remember as a young child 1950's in Ireland my friends mother, Father and uncle cutting hay with a syth (spelt wrong) and building hay stacks by hand. It was a small meadow only a few acres at the most.
As it looked hard work for the adults, my friend , his sister and myself made cages ot of reeds in which we put small frogs. The frogs were all released.
I suppose its possible but if you got the cash buy in.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »
I got my Scythe from the scythe shop too. It's fabulous. I just spent an evening topping docks with it. I like that I can just take out the dock in a clump of grass and leave most of the grass intact and can wander about the fields in blissful silence  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:52:15 pm »
Toaster - I can't quite picture the 'boxes' you mention.  The usual way to make hay is to leave it where it falls, whether mown with a scythe or a powered mower, then to turn it each day with a pitchfork or tedder until it's dry.  Once dry you can either stack it loose or bale it, either by hand or machine.
If you are making hay by hand it would be best not to be too ambitious about the area you mow in one go. 

So far this year it doesn't look as if we will ever get enough dry weather to make hay here - we usually make ours in late July.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:28:34 am »
I posted something about making hay and bales by hand not so long ago. I used a large cardboard box ( light to carry about) and layed 2 lengths of string in it before packing the hay in. after tieing it of I tipped it out and tied it length ways. I made 10 in about 40 minutes I guess. Hot work though. The grass was very tall so and I think that the long grass made the job easie - less effort to turn and fork up into the box - and it baled well (tight)
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 07:02:50 am »
I'm interested in making a hay stook like they still do in places like Romania. Amazing things. But try hard work.

I too have an Austrian scythe from Simon Fairlie. They are fantastic and very contemplative.

http://www.leafpile.com/TravelLog/Romania/Farming/MakingaHaystack/MakingHaystack.htm
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:15:14 pm »
Does no-one watch the Victorian Farmer series then? Shame on you. A real wealth of information for those who shun (or can't afford) much mechanisation. Apart from that, power equipment is so noisy it upsets our chickens.

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »
we are going to make about half acre of loose hay, cut the grass with long handled hedge cutter rake and fork about for a few days . I shall stack it loose on pallets and cover to keep dry.so all we need now is some summer weather and cider! :fc:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 08:33:30 am »
Does no-one watch the Victorian Farmer series then? Shame on you. A real wealth of information for those who shun (or can't afford) much mechanisation. Apart from that, power equipment is so noisy it upsets our chickens.

Some of the topics on V Farm are available as clips on youtube too. Altho I guess for totally hand harvested hay we would be looking at the first (and best) series, Tales from the Green Valley, which was set in the 1600s in the reign of King James. By far the best, esp the voiceover and music, which is wonderful! (and the amazing setting)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:35:04 am by lachlanandmarcus »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:03 am »
Some of the topics on V Farm are available as clips on youtube too. Altho I guess for totally hand harvested hay we would be looking at the first (and best) series, Tales from the Green Valley, which was set in the 1600s in the reign of King James. By far the best, esp the voiceover and music, which is wonderful! (and the amazing setting)

Do you have a copy? Could I borrow it  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS