Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tics and Lymes Disease...  (Read 9112 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Tics and Lymes Disease...
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:06 am »
Most of you will know about Tics, safe tic removal (I really recomend keeping a tick twister handy) and watching out for signs of Lymes Disease, but for those that dont - please have a quick look at this poster  (Lymes is really horrible but treatable if caught early)..... http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ldap2.pdf   Cheers, Fi

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Tics and Lymes Disease...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:50:52 am »
Be aware that not everyone shows the typical rash. And if you don't you may well get the GP saying "oooooo, no need to test, it's very rare"  >:(

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:31 am »
Thanks for the info.  I have never had a tick myself but my dog gets them all the time.  Never successfully removed one on him.

Bill the brew

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:48 am »
Hate the things.........does Frontline work on humans ? Only kidding but you never know, especialy in long grass!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08:13 am »
We can remove them with tweezers but when we were on holiday on Exmoor last year someone at the visitor centre recommended the plastic purpose designed tick remover that they sold for a few pounds. It was brilliant ..... easy to use and effective. Good job because I have never seen so many of the blighters.  :o

I was bitten by ticks when expecting my first baby. A little girl, who we lost when I was 6 months pregnant. I was tested for Lymes and although the test was negative, I was told that ticks could potentially carry many diseases/bacteria that could affect the unborn baby. Nothing could be proved conclusively but it has made us very aware of possible complications of being bitten. Perhaps better to be safe than sorry and to follow the safety advice ..... easy to dismiss if you are outdoor type people.

Thanks FiB.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:11 am »
Thanks for the info.  I have never had a tick myself but my dog gets them all the time.  Never successfully removed one on him.
Get a tick twister - they are fantastic  :thumbsup:  you just line it up under the tic and twirl gentle - they come off with no resistance our cat doesnt even notice if we do it while she is asleep - she is a bit feisty when awake!).
Lots of GPs are getting more clued up - ours offered me a single dose Precautionary antibiotic for my son which I accepted (his first ever antibiotic in 10 years of life) - I wouldnt have taken him but it was before I had a tick twister and some mouth parts got left behind which needed digging out.   :o .  I have to say it was such a relief , not having to wonder/work out if he had or hadnt got it.  Its far more common than some think.  I know 4 people who have/have had it and it is a long term thing - prevention definately easier than cure! 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 12:24:29 pm »
NEVER twist ticks, it makes them regurgitate and then they put the full load of whatever bugs they have in them into you. People talk about bits of the mouthparts being left in as the biggest problem. This is an insignificant problem, it may cause a small local infection that could be dealt with by tea tree oil. The problem is getting what the tick carries.

I have Lyme's disease. Forever.

Most doctors don't recognise it and it can't always be got rid of if treated though you stand a better chance if you catch it early on. It needs 3 weeks of high dose antibiotics to stand a chance of getting it and even then......

some Lyme's information

tick removal - pull, don't twist

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:27:43 pm by jaykay »

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:41 pm »
NEVER twist ticks, it makes them regurgitate and then they put the full load of whatever bugs they have in them into you.

tick removal - pull, don't twist
Sorry that u have it JayKay, I know how debilitating it can be. 
You DO twist with a tick twister though (see poster), or push slightly with a tick removal card ( Both of which scoop gently under the tic , as near to your skin and its mouth parts as possible, to encourage it to let go.   
Having worked in the woods for lots of years now, Ive tried a few removers and this is the one I like best so far.. http://www.otom.com/otom-tick-twister-instructions
I would say that twisting OR pulling with your fingers or normal tweezers grasping the body would be disasterous as it makes them sink their bits in futher as well as the regurgitation bit.  If you dont have a tick remover or very fine tipped tweezers  - id recomend finding someone who does (and then buying one for future use).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:40:55 pm by FiB »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:04:37 pm »
Would smothering them in vaseilne or alcohol make them regurgitate?  That is the usual method of removal for gundog folk? (we've always got sloe gin with us  ;) )
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 01:16:56 pm »
--its one of the 'DO NOT' s in the poster I attached so I guess there is a chance (especially with the vaseline which could involve pressing the body of the tic).  Id drink the gin and buy a tic twister myself!! ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »
It really is confusing.  I followed the various links and they seem to say 'don't twist' but then demonstrate how to remove a tick by twisting  ???    Could it be that you mustn't hold the whole tick and twist as that would remove the body but leave the mouth?  The green remover goes underneath the body and twisting seems to be the way.   Heavens, when I think how many ticks we removed with cigarette butts, alcohol, tweezers etc on our camping trips  :o :o
Thank you FiB for highlighting this.  Even though we don't have ticks on our land (phew) I will send off for one of the green wonders  :thumbsup: .
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 01:46:14 pm »
The trick is to take them by surprise.Finger and thumb nail and a sharp tug, without fiddling about with them beforehand.Then stamp on the little beggar >:(
Guinea Fowl are good at clearing land of ticks :)

Bill the brew

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 02:23:46 pm »
I never get to find my tick puller, when I see one I supprise it with a very quick pull....horrid things..Strange how its the tiny things that get to us the most, Ticks and Midges  >:(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
Even with the tick removers, you just pull. The green remover goes under the body and then you PULL hard. The link I posted says don't twist too.

Annie yes, you mustn't burn or smother them.

Basically you're aiming at distressing the little b#€%+¥$ the minimum possible, to avoid regurgitation. Until you've got them clear of course  >:(

Second drinking the gin  ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:42:58 pm by jaykay »

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »
Noooo--ooo.... you really do twist!!!  In fact you mustnt pull (see link below) if you can help it (because of the risk of leaving mouth parts behind)
http://www.otom.com/otom-tick-twister-instructions
 - on the link you posted it only says pull if you have to resort to using fine tipped tweezers (alternative method)...  If you scroll down to the video on your link its shows removal.
Happy tic busting folks!!  A fine tea time post!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:15:46 pm by FiB »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS