Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flail or Blade topper/mower  (Read 24918 times)

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
Flail or Blade topper/mower
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:52:06 am »
I am thinking of buying a tow along topper for the quad for my 5 acres.  The ground is not that rough but the paddocks do slope in more than one direction, kinda like a bowl.  Is it better to get a flail as the machine is narrower or a mower with a blade which is a longer machine but a better finish(although finish is not really important).  Any ideas.
www.falabellawales.co.uk   Mini horses and cairn terriers

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Flail or Blade topper/mower
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:02:37 am »
If the ground isnt stony or full of little bumps I would probably get a topper as it will give a better finish and a closer cut.
A bowl slope of the field as a whole shouldnt be a problem, also a topper is usually lighter if it is the simple type.
If its mechanism is protected by shear bolts (Most of the less expensive ones are, great big ones have other means but are more complex and expensive)  it can be useful to get a few spares in, so that if you do hit something and the bolt shears as it is intended to, you can quickly replace it and get on with the job
Assuming you want to cut the grass to keep it in good condition rather than mow for hay then your choice is between a mower conditioner (more expensive but will inject the bits of grass down into the ground to retain fertility) or a standard topper which will leave the grass on top of the ground to rot down gradually.
You dont want a hay mower as this will leave the grass in great big row piles and it wont rot down. Unless you want to make hay of course. but then  you will need all the other kit!

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »
lachlanandmarcus - are you sure about mower conditioner? I googled  ('cause I thought mmm sounds good) and photos show all grass piled in a row like it would be for silage or hay.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »
its a term used rather loosely in some places I think! you are right, a lot of 'conditioning mowers' on google are ...well just mowers really!
But when I have been buying that has always been the terminology people have used to me, for the one that 'injects' the clippings (since thats the conditioning part of it), Not sure what conditioning leaving it all in a pile/row on the ground would do!
Maybe I will rename the one Im talking about 'injector mower'. You can get them for gardens too, sit on mowers that do it.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:44 am »
mower conditioner has always been that    it mows it and conditions it (usually by bruising the stem to let the moisture dry out quicker) and it leaves it in rows for collecting  if anything it should be mower/mulcher :farmer:

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:55:51 am »
thank you for clarifying.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »
Hi all, to help clarify the difference between grass cutting equipment hopefully the following will make sense.

Topper - multi blade with high ride height, not normally adjustable open front and back
Finishing mower or Roller mower - used for lawns and sports pitches multi blade and usually are height adjustable giving you a very fine cut.
Flail - either front or back mount - drum with various options of length and flail cutter type, will cut from grass through to brambles gorse etc up to small trees dependent on the machine.
Drum mower- for hay and silage only usually Tedd's the cut grass for collection.
Drum mower conditioner- same as above but with the added conditioning blades usually plastic or nylon. usually only used for silage, the conditioner section helps break down the glossy finish on the cut grass to help with fermentation.

hope that all helps, any questions just ask!

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:12:27 am »
Brewster

Can I quizz you more on Toppers - especially difference between the cheap end and more expensive end. I do need one, been looking on fleaby but nothing nearby/size/price range  (I only have a 30hp compact, so 5/6ft max). Am I wasting money looking at £6-800 new toppers? Can't afford the ones above a grand, 2 grand and more.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:39:39 pm »
 I would go for a £6-800 new topper, if that is within your budget. You can get cheaper ones but they will have poor quality gearboxes and drive shafts.
Also, as Lachlanandmarcus says, it will have a shear bolt which will snap if you hit something and so you will not damage the machine.
A decent new topper will last you for years and for 5 acres it is not worth paying a lot more for a flail mower.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »
We have taken the plunge and bought a Wessex County AT110 Towed topper for our quad.  It has a 12.5 hp Band S engine and 1.1m cut.  Have used it once and really impressed.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »
Well Vinny thats another £1700 you'll not see again. :innocent:
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:20:48 am »
Can I ask what cc quads you are using, we are looking at getting a quad that can tow a topper etc but were told we would need at least a 400cc quad is this really the case?

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »
I would go for a £6-800 new topper, if that is within your budget. You can get cheaper ones but they will have poor quality gearboxes and drive shafts.
Also, as Lachlanandmarcus says, it will have a shear bolt which will snap if you hit something and so you will not damage the machine.
A decent new topper will last you for years and for 5 acres it is not worth paying a lot more for a flail mower.

even the 600 -800 pounds one arent all that make sure you fit a PTO overrun clutch it will save you getting pushed into things

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:46:21 pm »
We have a 300cc 4x4 Arctic Cat, which has a Suzuki engine. It pulls the mower with ease.  We also pull a 4ft wide, 5ft long chain harrow, 4ft water filled roller, a 90ltr sprayer that fits on the back rack and a small 12 volt spinner that we spread granulated lime with (although its for feeding birds).  All of the above attachments are handled without any trouble.

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply... think I just mad my mind up on what I am going to treat myself to  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS