Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much weight (average) will a lamb put on in 1 and a 1/2 month  (Read 8736 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
It took me 2 hours (on my own) to inject all the sheep (plus myself  ::) ) today with Panomec, (for worms)

Only after I had finished, I saw the meat withdrawal was 45 days!!

The 4 ready-soonest lambs weigh 30 kilo (finally managed to weigh them  ;D ) I dont want them to go past 40 kilo, but I have no idea how much weight they can put on in 45 days, they were born beginning of march so nearly 4 months old.

Any ideas?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:59:30 pm by Ladygrey »

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Re: How much weight (average) will a lamb put on in 1/2 month
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:32 pm »
You might do better to make sure they are just on grass and reduce/stop any creep you are feeding. They should grow consistently but steadily on grass now.
Well done on lone injecting - I often have to do this too... thank god for friendly bucket trained sheep is what I say! LOL!
Instead of being concerned with weight if you haven't got lamb scales, maybe body condition scoring would work better for you maybe... then it's specific to the lamb rather than just a number (i,e 40kg) regardless of individual sheep!
Hope that helps a little
Lisa
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: How much weight (average) will a lamb put on in 1 and a 1/2 month
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:10:22 pm »
They have only ever been on grass! nothing else from 30 days old, and a few of them are umm slightly wide  ::)

They are Llyen/beltex and mule/beltex and the llyens seem to get fat on thin air!!

and yes I am so so glad they are all tame, I squished them into the corner with a hurdle and then they all got the jab  :thumbsup: apart from 1 ewe and 1 of her lambs which took about an hour to catch

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:38:37 pm »
Lleyns rock! I have Lleyn x's! I guess they are Welsh Mountain sheep after all so are pretty good do'ers! Have they been shorn yet? My lleyns really bulk out at the sides wool wise towards summer but look more or less ok once shorn. Only one of them has an eating disorder... a binge eater! Even she looks better with her clothes off!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »
Lleyns rock! I have Lleyn x's! I guess they are Welsh Mountain sheep after all

No, Lleyns are an upland sheep, not a mountain breed. Welsh mountains are MUCH tougher!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:15 pm »
Lisa yes Lleyns are great  :thumbsup:

Do you mean shearing lambs? I havnt thought about getting the lambs sheared, Do people usually shear lambs? I use a hand shear and I have done bums-n-bellies. However come to think of it they do lie there panting sometimes and the wool is very thick and long!

Yes welsh mountain sheep are pretty tough! but I dont think they would suit me, I like the lleyn crosses, however my lambs at the moment are a huge mix of a bunch!!

2 x suffolk/ryeland
2 x Wiltshire horn/ryeland
2 x Badger face/ryeland
5 x Lleyn/Beltex
1 x Mule/beltex

The best lamb mix (I have had) so far is Lleyn/beltex, followed closely by Mule/Beltex followed by Hampshire down/Suffolk

I (waits to be beaten up  ::) ) have not been impressed with ryelands so far and personally dont understand the hype of the (rather charming and cute)) breed. I am sure they suit some people just perfectly but they arent for me, Im looking for a different breed sire for the ewes in autumn

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:50 pm »
I wouldn't normally shear lambs but my shearer this year said my Ryeland x and Poll Dorset needed shearing as they were full-fleeced. They have been better for it since. I understand if you shear too early it ruins the wool.
Glad to see I am not the only one with a mixed flock... I have
Texels
Mules
Mule x Texels
Charolais x Poll Dorset
Charolais x Lleyn
Shetlands
Shetland x Charolais
Poll Dorset
Ryeland x Poll Dorset!
I love my cross breeds and my commercial sheep!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:16:58 am »
I see ok, my Ryeland crosses wont ever get old enough to be sheared for the 2nd time so I will see how they go, the wool on them is course and not as nice as on the other lambs so I dont mind about taking it off.

;D I love having a mixed bunch :) that way I can honestly say what I prefer because I have tried all the different breeds, I also have 1 Badger face/shetland 1 Wiltshire horn and 1 Suffolk.

I have recently fallen in love with Border Leicesters!!!! So I am not keeping any lambs this year and I am putting money towards some pedigree Border Leicester ewe lambs, aiming to have them in the next year or so :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS