Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear infection  (Read 5645 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Ear infection
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:08:48 am »
Has anyone else experienced ear infections in sheep/lambs?

We have a ewe lamb that has some discharge from her ear albeit it does not appear to be troubling her. We treated her with Betamox LA a couple of weeks ago and also cleaned the ear with hibiscrub which seemed to work but it seems as though it was only a temporary fix as the symptoms are present once again.

Other than trying a different antibiotic does anyone have any suggestions for treating her? Thanks  :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Ear infection
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:14 pm »
Have you checked the 'structure' of her throat and ear? I had a lamb once who somehow had a join between her throat and ear, so that when she drank, milk came out of her ear!

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:30:30 pm »
Yikes, not a nice scenario. I don't imagine there is much you can do about that?

Fortunately I doubt that is the case with this lamb as she hasn't had the problem from birth and it did clear up temporarily with antibiotics.

I guess with the scenario you describe it would be evident all the time?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:00:55 pm »
Yes, she had a permanent discharge - of what turned out to be milk!

So if yours cleared up with antibiotics, then I'm guessing you're right, it's a plain infection.

Ear infections can be fungal, with bacterial involvement, so the antibiotics clear up the latter but not the former. I have a dog that has an ongoing issue, clears up, comes back.... Grass seeds getting down the ear can trigger it too, can't see them as they get in very deep and need the vet's earscope and long fine tweezers.

So sometimes it just needs different drops and sometimes more investigation.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:40:14 pm »
Interesting point about the fungal part of an infection, I'll have to have a word with our vet and see what he recommends.

Hopefully I can avoid having to take her into the vets as she is getting quite big now....not sure how OH will feel about her being in the back of his 'new' Landie either  :innocent: 

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:02:43 pm »
I was gonna say grass seed also. Grass seeds are hideous in dogs too. Tend to 'cling on in there' and sometimes need long tweezers used by a professional to remove the problem.
You might need to be extra vigilent with potential strike too.. I bet flies LOVE that stink that infections tend to produce!!!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS