Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mangelwerzels  (Read 3083 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Mangelwerzels
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:54 pm »
Watched the Victoria Farmer last night. Fantastic programme. They harvested Mangelwerzels to feed the pigs over Winter. Kept them in a straw 'clamp' outside to protect from frost. Then they ground them up before feeding. Apparently they are full of vitamins and extremely good for livestock, rather than paying for bags of feed. Can you still buy seeds anywhere and has anyone else used them? Is there an alternative crop?

deepinthewoods

Re: Mangelwerzels
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »
mangel beet seeds here,if the quantitys are too high you cold break the packets down and sell them on ebay..
http://www.churchofbures.co.uk/

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:51 pm »
We plant a smallish patch, maybe tenth of an acre with fodder beet which is pretty similar each year for feeding to the pigs. We're just now coming to the end of last year's crop, the seeds are expensive as you have to buy by the acre but £60 for seeds saves us nearly £300 on pig food so its a good deal in the end. We feed about 1:9 ratio of fodder beet to pig nuts for the sows and about the same to the weaners once they are three months old. Chickens like them too. Pound for pound and taking minimal effort they are probably the best crop we grow!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:13:16 pm »
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »
We grew them years ago for our highland pony but he didn't take a liking to them! They were easy to grow and produced a decent crop, so well worth considering if you've got the spare ground.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:26:59 pm »
We grew them years ago for our highland pony but he didn't take a liking to them! They were easy to grow and produced a decent crop, so well worth considering if you've got the spare ground.

Can you believe we found something Smokey won't eat? :horse:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:48:33 pm »
A lovely TASer (who's name escape me at this time of night!) split a bag of Fodder beet seeds last year with several of us.

they are loved by our pigs, the goats & chickens eat the spinachy leaves & I even chopped and cooked a fair few for us too! 

I'm sure if you wanted to share a bag, a post in the marketplace/swapsshop would find them a home.... :)
Little Blue

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:07:41 pm »
Thanks for the links. Looks like they are worth doing, together with swedes and beet. I know a Boron deficiency in the soil causes swedes to split, so I will take a bag of Vitax Q with me.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:47 am »
My girls love fodder beet but it's too hard for me to chop up.  I tried growing mangelwurzelsm but they didn't take for some reason.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:33:48 am »
Over here they sell a few different carieties of fodder beets. one pack does me two years. A couple of euros a pack. I grow mine mainly for my bunnies. I store them in the cellar and bring them up a few at a time. they even cut frozen. Horse is not keen so he gets bought in sugar beet as an extra in winter, but thje he IS spoiled.

knight_family

• Joined Apr 2012
  • south Littleton
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:50:42 pm »
some people every year sell some seeds on here. IT worth keep an eye out I know I'll be planning on it next spring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS