Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Borage  (Read 14282 times)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: Borage
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 05:49:40 am »
Been on the Harrods Horticulture Website as advertised at the bottom of the page, they have 100 seed packets for £1.75, not expensive. Going to order some other stuff of the "wild plant" nature.
What I am trying to do is to introduce more wild plants, preferably of colour into the fields around the borders and take note of successful plants. By successful I mean looking after themselves, combating nettles, thistles and docks. Also attracting more wild life which is ok at the moment.
Any suggestions for wild colour plants appreciated, got 6 acres to fill.
Where am I ? Where men are men and the sheep are frightened ! On t'Pennines between Huddersfield & Halifax on the snow line. Its' grim tha noz.  :sheep:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 10:46:30 am »
Ah, good old Cleck-hudders-fax  :innocent:
Have a look here [size=78%]http://wildseed.co.uk/species/category/wild-flowers[/size] ? I'm considering a handful of seed to cover up my "lawn".

Mel

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 12:23:13 pm »
I have lots of it growing wild here,shall be collecting the seeds  ;)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 06:19:14 am »
]http://wildseed.co.uk/species/category/wild-flowers     Emorsgate Seeds

What a good site, thanks for that. Very comprehensive and very well laid out.  :thumbsup:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »
Borage is one of those plants just lifts your spirits. Useful too and the bees love it.  But yes it will be with you forever  :love: once you plant some! 

Cucumber-y flavour leaves good in salads sandwiches and, mostly traditionaly, Pimms!  (Should we ever have Pimms weather again...  :()

Flowers in salads and Pimms too.  :)

I don't see it up here in t'North, but I always had it in my gardens when I was a southerner.  (We used to drink more Pimms down there too  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 08:05:16 am »
Caution  : FOR DEEP IN THE WOODS

its better than comfrey for edibility tho, cos its not as 'strong'
DO NOT EAT COMFREY

It can cause liver failure . and changes to pancreas,  and cancer in rats,
ok for topical application but do not eat.
have a look on google . :fc:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:08:12 am by tizaala »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 09:08:37 am »
tiz weve been thro this. the lethal dose is impossible to eat, if youd like me to ill dig out the link.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 09:11:54 am »
Ok, I suppose a little bit of overkill never did anyone any harm :innocent:

deepinthewoods

Tiffmarie

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 07:45:37 pm »
Hi there. I know you posted this last year but I still figured I'd throw in my input regarding it. I've grown Borage two years in a row, now. I collected seeds from my plant last year and gave them to my mom and she also grew some. She grew hers up in Michigan in the ground. Since I don't have a yard (live in a condo), I grew mine in a large pot last year and this year, we were allowed to plant a few plants by our front stoop so they are in the ground. With all that said...

They grow MUCH better in the ground. My moms were incredibly huge and beautiful. Not to mention, they grew quite a bit longer than mine in the large pot did - she got about two months longer out of hers! They do attract Aphids so be sure to have something on hand to spray them with. I made my own concoction since I've found that store-bought ones tend to cause "burnt" leaves even if you spray in the evening.

Problem? Borage is like rabbits - it reproduces to a crazy degree. You WILL have MANY growing around your plant before you know it so watch out where you plant yours.

All in all, I love growing it. It tends to look ugly when it starts to die but the flowers are very beautiful and very tasty! I also enjoy cooking up the leaves but only the smaller ones. Saute them in a little butter and oil along with garlic and shallots. TASTY!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 07:51:22 pm »
we have borage, its quite hardy as we have treated it roughly and it still comes back. it grows really quickly which s handy.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 07:00:44 am »
I love borage, I love watching the bees enjoying it. And it does appear to survive anywhere! It popped up this year in my blueberry plant tub! I also planted some alongside some camomile in a big crate, its died off now and it will be interesting to see if it reemerges through the camomile next year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS