Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: taking pigs to market  (Read 2482 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
taking pigs to market
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »
I have a Pedigree Saddle back and 8 X weaners to take to Carmarthen market, never done something like this before and haven't a clue what to do but they need to go as they are eating me out of house and home and I have been unable to sell weaners or keep them on for pork  :( she only had 8 last time and they were easy to shift but this time she had 13 live but 15 in total so a great increase!! I bought her in with the 8 last year but want now to concentrate on just Berkshires, the other five I have been able to sell for Pork in September

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: taking pigs to market
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:54 pm »
Assuming you already have a holding number and herd number for the pigs and have tagged them :
First you need to register for eaml2 . once you have done this and got it sorted then ring the auctioneer at the market and book them in, they will tell you what day for pig sales and time to be there for unloading . you might need to give them 10 days notice for the next sale. once you know when to take them, then do your eaml2 booking either on the computer or over the phone. then on the day you will be shown the unloading bay and where to pen them . It takes about a week to get your money from the auctioneers by cheque. :fc:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:59:53 pm by tizaala »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »
You will also need to tag them with your herd no.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »
And unfortunateley you wont get much for them at market, cant you sell them private?

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:57:13 pm »
Arl I have asked around etc here in West Wales and people are struggling to get rid of pigs unless you have a ready market before they are born there does not appear to be much of a market here for them, £5 will be a good price even though papers are saying the price of pork is going up.
We do have all the correct paper work for our smallholding including a herd number, the sow is ear notched and has all her pedigree papers so will she need a tag as well?  I am not looking forward to this at all and it is with great sadness that I can not give them a better future but this is life and they are costing  a lot to feed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS