Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of making hay.  (Read 36522 times)

robert waddell

Re: Cost of making hay.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:22 pm »
sudanpan   is it not a busatis   if it is it has two reciprocating knifes
bamford  bl 58
is that the hayzip back to working order   could you still get parts for it :farmer:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 06:06:04 pm »
Hi Robert

The finger cutter - I'll take a piccie of it when I next get an opportunity - I 'think' it has one blade that moves against a static edge - it has really nasty looking points pointing forward and when it is up in the storage position I keep imagining that I'm going to impale myself on it!

Re the hayzip - yes we managed to strip it down completely and sort out extra tines which were easy to get. Jim (OH) thinks everything else is pretty much in ok order - one of the gear heads was a bit oily but we'll keep an eye on it and as we only have a couple of acres it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

:wave:

MichelleP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:43 am »
I seem to have done rather well, being quoted in East Sussex £1.30 per bale for small bale hay.

My problem is when to cut it.

Does anyone in the south east see a window for cutting any time soon? I have scoured the weather forecasts and see sunshine in my area Sunday 15th July, Monday Tuesday, although there is still 10-30% chance of rain  according to the BBC.

Wet forecast looks set to stay until August.

What is everyone else doing? This is my first attempt at hay and I want to get it right.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 09:17:36 am »
Praying for 10 days of dry weather because it's too wet to get any machinary on. This weather is balls!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:11 am »
Praying for 10 days of dry weather because it's too wet to get any machinary on. This weather is balls!
ditto :fc: 
Found our costs from last year from a co-operative we are part of.  8 refers to 8 acres.  and it is in Chepstow south wales.
We paid     
Mow £10.5/ acre   x 8                    =  84
Turn  £6/acre x  8 x 3turns             = 144
Row  £6/acre x  8                           =  48
Bail   £0.32/bale x 550bales           =  176
Roundbales    (not sure how many)= 20
Total Costs - Paul    472

Help - Tim & Ali    100
Help - Phil    50
Total Costs    622

Sales   
Square bales £2.5 ex field x 550 = 1375
Roundbales   

Total Profit    753
We've had to do more this year (harrow, fertilise, hand weed) so if we get a crop off this year I think the price will be higher, even ex field.  Up here in north wales, bales were going ex field £3.5-£3.75.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »
They are £2.50 down here.

Thats the problem with the forage market - a good year and its easy for the price per bale to fall below your cost of production.

I was going to have a 5 ac paddock mown, glad I didnt now, be making nought on each bale.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 10:45:42 am »
i charge £100 all in 3  6 to 8 acres  field iff you do it right you can cut twice big bales then cut and make small .we rent a croft so lots off small fields in the area .last week i cut a field and next door es ha dent been done so i cut the field terned it Friday and bailed phoned naboure to pic up .£125 and a bottle wine on Monday .I think £2.50 a bale is about right .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS