Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hayfield flattened by wind and rain...  (Read 5537 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Hayfield flattened by wind and rain...
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:22 am »
Hay ready to cut... and then this rain and wind!  Its all now lying down - my question is could it pop back up given a nice few days. or is that it, ruined?  Blimmin weather!  On the plus side my reseeded pig field is looking great!

Re: Hayfield flattened by wind and rain...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 07:23:54 pm »
It will come back (weather permitting)
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:07:16 pm »
Ours is bouncing back OK - had a bit of sun and light wind this afternoon.

Sue

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:21:17 am »
Assuming better weather, it'll recover.  And be careful now about when to cut - the ground will take longer to dry out than the grass, which depending on where you are and your ground may make (a) travelling difficult for the contractor's machinery and (b) it more difficult to get the crop dried as it will be lying on wet ground.

Around here we sometimes have to leave the grass in its cut rows, not spread out, while the wind dries the ground between the rows, then spread and row up again in the in-between spaces to let the wind dry where the rows were last time.  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:46:53 am »
Yep - here too  ::)   In fact if it's windy but not sunny, we sometimes do a lot of the drying with the hay in windrows, nice and tall so the wind blows through, and turned still in windrows onto the gap between rows, then we hope for at least a little sun to be able to spread and finish it off.

It's starting to look worrying for ever getting a hay crop - but too early to panic  :gloomy:   :o :o :gloomy:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 03:35:40 pm »
Hmmm - hadn't though of the ground being wet when we do (eventually  :fc:  ) get to cut - will keep that in mind!

BTW - on a completely different note: My 'insert quote' facility doesn't seem to work  ???  I'm using Chrome...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:28 pm »

Around here we sometimes have to leave the grass in its cut rows, not spread out, while the wind dries the ground between the rows, then spread and row up again in the in-between spaces to let the wind dry where the rows were last time.  ::)
Yep - here too  ::)    In fact if it's windy but not sunny, we sometimes do a lot of the drying with the hay in windrows, nice and tall so the wind blows through, and turned still in windrows onto the gap between rows, then we hope for at least a little sun to be able to spread and finish it off.

thank you, thank you, thank you :D   When I suggested that to our contractor he just said 'we don't do it that way' >:( >:( .  Result - 2 acres of rotted hay.  I wish we had our own equipment...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:26 pm »
Oh, sorry to hear that Bramblecott  :bouquet:  Your contractor has probably never done it that way - you're in sunny southerly Dorset and the kind of weather we've all been having is usually only found north of Preston.  Shame he wasn't prepared to listen, though.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:28 am »
i think it will take a good full dry week to fix this the grain is only half with a month left .iff not sorted by the last week of august its to wet in the mornings to get going to cut .4 weeks left grass barley and chicks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS