Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opportunity presents itself..............  (Read 8398 times)

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
Opportunity presents itself..............
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:25:45 pm »
....................in time honoured tradition..................right place, wrong time ::)
Apart from browsing through posts here I do the odd property search just to see what's happening.  Well, lo and behold there's a perfect wee place not six miles away!  It's your usual wee country cottage/bungalow sitting in approx half an acre with a walled garden and another 6.5 acres in four fields directly opposite on the other side of the road!!!!
Oh, what a to do!?!?!  Don't even know if I should mention it to OH 'cos I know exactly what he'll say - but it's sssoooooo perfect - the kids could stay in school, easy for friends and family to get to and I know several people who live in the area too.
I'm half of a notion to go and view the place to see what I can uncover 'cos I'm thinking if (make that a very BIG if) we were to buy it could you let out the fields and what sort of income you'd get.  Then there's the whole replacement dwelling thing (it's only got two bedrooms) and what we'd be allowed to build (just thinking it's a pity we sold the caravan now lol!)
Time to do some number-crunching me thinks (just as well I don't have a granny 'cos I'd probably sell her :P)
Audrey x

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: Opportunity presents itself..............
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »
where abouts?????!!!!!!!! LOL ;)

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:01:18 pm »
I ain't telling aannnyyboodddy :P
A x

sandy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:55:35 pm »
can see why, we would make a dash for the Estate Agents ;D ;D ;D I'm not moving though so you can tell me.....I'm happy with my little bit of stock, just  :chook: :chook: :chook: :dog: :dog: and 2   :&> on the way

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:14:54 pm »
Well Audrey.
The first thing I would do is let your other half discover it ;) ;) ;) ;)
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:42 pm »
Like by taking his hand and saying 'lets go for a wee walk in the gloaming darling', then 'oh look, there's a for sale sign on that house you like so much'  - 'will we go and look at it' ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:31 pm »
Don't let OH know but don't be too enthusiastic with men, negative enforcement works, for example,say something like- living in a rural smallholding and doing up a house is far too much for us to take on, he should reply, " I don't know, we could give it a go, you only live once" I've done it loads of times in my life, it nearly always works, years and years ago, I wanted t be engaged like my friends but my boyfriend would not have it, I then said, I am not keen on marrage r engagement, we oon went out for a ring. Men need to think they are in controle, a bit Like walking away from a dog that wll not com back!!!!! ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:50:06 am »
Just go for it.  Opportunities like that dont come along all the time. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:41:42 am »
I know the system is different in England, but will you have competition for it?  Do you need to act fast or has the market turned in your favour with this depression we're having?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:42 am »
I'm liking where you're coming from girls - we are a crafty breed ;D ;D ;D  I'm thinking along the lines of suggesting taking the kids to the aquarium then come home the coast road with a wee detour thrown in along the way ;)
I phoned the estate agent earlier and there's quite a bit of interest so it's not going to sit for long and probably go well over the asking price too.  I might just go ahead and stick my tuppence-worth in and see what happens - you never know ;)
A x

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:49:26 pm »
i'd take the opportunity while you can - they don't often come along

i may have the opportunity to purchase the flat above my house - allowing me to convert it all back into 1 big property. if i don't take it and it's sold elsewhere, i might never get the chance again - don't exactly know how i'm going to fund it, what'll cost, but i'll need ot at least try!!!

i'll be back on asking all about setting up a B&B if i get it - what do i need a 6 bedroom house for?????

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 01:00:09 pm »
We completed in December on where we are now - we still haven't sold our old house, but we couldn't miss this opportunity to get this one.

I have no regrets, although I wish my house would sell but still I wouldn't have done it any different with hindsight as I am soooo happy here and feel as though I have lived here for years.  My heart obviously ruled my head for once and I am so glad.

I would say think carefully about missing this opportunity based on my experience

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »
i'd take the opportunity while you can - they don't often come along

i may have the opportunity to purchase the flat above my house - allowing me to convert it all back into 1 big property. if i don't take it and it's sold elsewhere, i might never get the chance again - don't exactly know how i'm going to fund it, what'll cost, but i'll need ot at least try!!!

i'll be back on asking all about setting up a B&B if i get it - what do i need a 6 bedroom house for?????
My daughter and her husband are almost at the end of a ginormous renovation project in a Victorian house.  They had the opportunity to buy the flat above them but felt they wouldn't have had the funds to convert back to one house although they could afford to buy it.  Instead they have gone A about F and converted the cellar into a beautiful modern garden flat, then put the original ground floor flat back to the original features.  Now all they have to do is sell one of them to recoup their expenditure - a good area so should be OK I think even now.

sandy

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 06:52:51 pm »
Our B&B was set up without us being prepared, we were looking at houses in the price bracket to turninto some sort of business in the future, I had a job in Glasgow, we moved in and started to make lists of what we needed etc and from the moment I was unpacking the phone kept going and it went everyday, so, after one night someone asking at the door we took an advance bookking, withdrew some savings and ought basic stuff, beds, pottery, bedding etc etc and off w went,put some advert in and set up a website while dong everything else and here we are, still going strong, some pitfalls along the way but hey ho!!!!!

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 08:27:09 pm »
Well, I've been doing a bit of digging (you've got to love t'internet lol) and not only have the owners already applied for planning for a replacement dwelling I've discovered that a fair bit of land in that area - 9 hectares - has just been zoned for development!!  It wouldn't impact on the land with the property but it's got me thinking that loads of developers are going to be sniffing around it like a load of sniffy things. 
Auds x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS