Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buttercups are driving me mad and taking over  (Read 14227 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Buttercups are driving me mad and taking over
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »
I agree on the fertiliser question - it would be rare for it not to be risky for horses re laminitis risk to use artificial fertiliser, certainly without seeing the effect of the other measures first. Horses are designed to eat 'poor' quality grasses in cattlemens terms, not a green sward.
Not trying to put you off the rest of the measures am concerned about the fertilising. Grazing hard can make grass grow back short sweet and stressed esp if liming etc brings the ph up, so sugars will be higher anyway.

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »
4 hundredweigh of lime per acre seams a bit on the light side  unless he is intending you to apply that yearly     fertilizer applied at the seading will only encourage the old grass to grow and chock out the new seedling's    i would apply a 15/15/15 fertilizer     there is a shift away from nitrogen fertilizer in favour of lime phosphate and potash  to give a sweet sward that encourages clover but that is not what you want for horses :farmer:

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 08:56:17 pm »
The fertilizer is just to encourage regrowththis year.  The lime is going to be a yearly thing.  He is also telling us to top and chain harrow more often which is why I started the thread about topper flail or mower.
www.falabellawales.co.uk   Mini horses and cairn terriers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS