Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buttercups are driving me mad and taking over  (Read 14241 times)

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
Buttercups are driving me mad and taking over
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »
We have 5 acres and breed falabella mini horses, trouble is buttercups are taking over.  How do I get rid of them without killing grass (or horses for that matter).  Tried spray (Grazon 90) kills some but can only spray once a year.  This year tried topping but the grass is slow coming back but the buttercups have come back quicker.  Any help would be most gratefull.  Cheers V.
www.falabellawales.co.uk   Mini horses and cairn terriers

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Buttercups are driving me mad and taking over
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
You are not alone!!!  See 'Buttercups' thread in land management.  The consensus seems to be liming. to raise the pH of your field spring or autumn.  Good luck.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »
Yes - creeping buttercup is an indication of acid soil Vinny.

Before you try anything else you need to influence the conditions otherwise they'll just come back and choke everything else out. They are as tenacious as ground elder  :( :(
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:19:01 pm »
I have noticed a huge difference in the field where the sheep have been grazing in contrast to the ones that have just had the horses in them. I guess the sheep must be eating them. Don't know if that is much help for you though.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:28 am »
Thanks for all the info.  Good link to the land management thread.  We need to apply 2 tons lime per acre as the soil is quite acidic.  As we are pretty new to this we had no idea how to look after the land, we just seemed to be sorting out small problems as the arrived rather than preventative action.  Thanks again for the help.  This is a good source of info for like minded people, first forum I have ever joined.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:31:17 pm »
I'll take the opportunity to say Hi & welcome to TAS Vinny D from West Scotland  :wave:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:50:53 pm »
"As we are pretty new to this we had no idea how to look after the land, we just seemed to be sorting out small problems as the arrived rather than preventative action"

:D :D

I so identified with this. We have been here three years and are still seem to spend a large part of our time on reactive rather than proactive tasks although we are doing alot of work on the fencing etc. but I would love to get into the proactive pasture management side of things. All we do at the moment is top cut the grass and scythe the thistles once the sheep have moved off each paddock  :( . I have fantasies about harrowing, reseeding etc.

Just started liming this year. Same as you - some unimaginable quantity per acre. I am doing one kilo per square metre - with a feed scoop - with the lime in a wheelbarrow........ the road to China starts with a single step and all that  :D :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:07:53 pm by suziequeue »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »
Ironically Horse and Hound article today suggested it is the resting period after liming that lets the grass compete rather than the lime itself.
However I think it does have a slow long term effect at reducing them because of their preference for acidic conditions. Not sure there is enough lime in the world to do all of our fields :-))

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 02:08:54 pm »
I feel that now I am putting the lime on I can be a bit more beastly to the creeping buttercup when it shows its face. It wouldn't have been a fair fight beforehand  :D :D

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »
My wife went on line after a friend had mentioned an 'Agronomist'.  We now have to send a soil sample, which will not only find pH level but what other nutrients the soil needs and from that they will draw up a plan of what we need and when we need to do it.  Hopefully money spent now will reap the rewards later on.  Will keep you posted.

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 09:52:34 pm »
Hi Vinnie, would be interested to hear how it goes with the soil sample. - Hope you manage to sort everything out!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 12:51:48 pm »
Ironically Horse and Hound article today suggested it is the resting period after liming that lets the grass compete rather than the lime itself.
I don't think I can confirm that - we have a magnificent crop of buttercups in what was previously horse pasture and has been ploughed, unsuccessful attempt at growing turnips and cabbages, and then left to itself.  There's been no stock on it for 12 months. We didn't reseed with grass as we were interested to see what came up - which is reshy grass, buttercups and dockens.   ::) 

The section next door has pigs rootling on it, and there are significantly less buttercups and more better grass on that part.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 10:44:27 am »
We have had the results from the agronomist.  PH was 5.8 and for grass needs to be about 6.5 - 7 (out of 14), Potash and Phosphate were ok.  He recommended that we cut the paddock really low, box and dispose of the cuttings.  Then using granulated lime put on 200kg and 1.5 cwt of fertilizer (20/10/10) per acre, leave for 7 - 10 days then spray with Headland Transfer , a selective weed killer.  This is the stag we are at now and although we only sprayed on friday the buttercups, docks and nettles are black and withering already.  Then in 10 days time we are to chain harrow to loosen the top of the soil and spread new grass seed, a horse and pony mix, roll in and leave for a further 3-4 weeks.  Hopefully this will get the job done.  Will keep you posted with the results in 5 weeks time.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 02:58:54 pm »
how much did they charge you for this info and the soil sample
was he aware you are grazing it with horses   just curious as it seams odd to apply fertilizer
normally lime is applied at 2 tons to the acre :farmer:

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »
The soil was sent to a lab in Reading Berks. Were then visited by agronomist when they recieved the results back from the lab and he had a walk round and gave us the info about the lime etc.  We had to lime/fertilize first as there is a 'lag' between them working.  Then weedkiller as the grass continues to grow but the weeds are killed.  About £80 for test and advice.  We had grazed the land quite hard so the ferilizer was a boost for the grass.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS