Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Donkeys  (Read 11991 times)

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Donkeys
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:07:44 pm »
Aww lovely
Sokel

have you any pics?

40 years ago i worked at the Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary (blimey was it so long ago?...i was very young ..13)

they took in retired Blackpool donkeys.. i still love them

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 10:20:11 pm »
I love them too. There are two living two fields away from us and we don't hear them very much, although there are some at the other end of the village that all the horse riders moan about because they have real difficulty riding past them in their field. I'd love a couple but hubby and size of field says NO  :'( . one day  :fc:
So many ideas, not enough hours

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »
There is a photos of my new baby on the coffee lounge forum herdygirl.

That's why I started keeping donkeys LouiseG. i had to ride past some and the horses always created a fuss. Now they are used to donks and pigs!.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 08:56:40 am »
We have two geldings of eight years, Matty and Monty. They are wonderful but can be cheeky too. They tend to honk for good reason, (out of water etc) though good reason includes you walking past without fussing them! They get a slice of toast every evening when we say goodnight. They love toast  ;D

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 07:49:09 pm »
I would love to have a couple of donkeys!

We are (fingers crossed) getting a house with some land in the next month or so and will be having a serious think about it then. Although it will probably be after sheep and pigs so a while of yet. In the meantime will just have to keep reading up and dreaming.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 09:44:31 am »
I am so glad you said a couple of donkeys Beeducked  as most people who ring me want just one so I have to educate them about donkeys needing company. If you want any advice re keeping donkeys feel free to message me.

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 05:32:50 pm »
We are in Devon and surrounded by hundreds of Donkeys from the Donkey Sanctuary (and I mean hundreds!)  - they are everywhere!!!  In our last house they housed the elderly donkeys 2 fields away from us, and to be honest, you could hear them sometimes, but it wasn't constant, and I can think of worse noise .......... like a motorway???  :wave:

pollygone

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 04:37:16 pm »
I have 3 jennies too, 2 of them rescue donkeys. I love my donks!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »
I support Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary, and Bransby Horses home, and every open day I am there cuddling the donkeys :)
There are two old donkeys up the lane from my fields.  I stopped to talk to them the other day, and one of them was so pleased, I could see it was about to bray ....being old, the noise was not quite as bad as it could have been. 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 05:22:11 pm »
 I've got about 16 donkeys, some of which we bought off some travellers last year as they were living in a muddy field and their owners had run out of food.
The intention is to rehome them (in pairs). So if anyone in the Yorks area is looking for a pair of quiet, halter trained donkeys, that can be ridden by children. Please contact me. We are asking £395 each and can deliver.
Our donkeys don't make a noise - well maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but that's all. They hee haw for a reason, like no water, or wanting titbits. I don't give mine treats so they don't expect any and don't make a noise - simples. But they still come up to me and love attention - there is nothing like a donkey to chill you out, but you don't need to bribe it.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 12:11:58 am »
How nice landroverroy of you to help these donkeys.  Hope you find good homes for them.
They are going through our local horse auction, and in the last few weeks they have been selling for only £50.....sad sign of the times :o :o

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:31 pm »
Shame I'm not in the York area. Have wanted  donkeys since I was little .... one (two) of animals on my list for pending small holding.

good luck with rehoming.

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS