Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Donkeys  (Read 11990 times)

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Donkeys
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:36:00 am »
Anyone else have donkeys?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Donkeys
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:06:17 am »
Not today thank you, does the noise abatement society know about you?..... cant think of anything ...hold that thought....peacocks ,donkeys and peacocks , if you really want to annoy everyone for a 2mile radius get one of each . they both do my head in .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:09:12 am »
I would love one, but same applies - too many good neighbours for me to annoy them and me with the noise.  Even Jamie my handsome cockerel had to be rehomed when he found out what sex he was. ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:03:30 pm »
Ahh sorry to dangle the carrot doganjo, I don't have any neighbours to bother. They are delightful creatures though and only noisy when someone wants to come inside.

I would like to do some kind of therapy with them. I call them land dolphins because they are so good at lifting your spirits and are gentle with children. It is so wet up here does anyone fancy swimming with donkeys?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:06:10 pm »
Mum and Dad fostered two. They were delightful, though sadly have gone back home now. The big one we had a saddle for and the kids used to ride her  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »
My friend up the road has 3 and they can be heard quite a bit but its not the sort of noise that bothers me.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 03:57:53 pm »
 I love the sound of Donkeys and peacocks. We have donkeys on the forest and they mob the tourists and put a few in hospital every year ;D
Peacocks they had in Sway village and i loved them i think the sound is magical much better than a cockeral.
They would perch on the church roof but they rehomed them cause they would poo everywhere.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »
Donkeys putting people in hospital feldar? What sort of donkeys were these, atttack trained ones?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 08:35:14 pm »
my last place was a caravan in a donkeys field. they are lovely animals,bright, precocious and self assured. they need to be in a male female pair ideally, that get on well. the 2 i knew both died, one from a kidney problem and the other a few months later from what the vet described as a broken heart, :bouquet:  poor thing.
the manure i got from them was the best ever. when i moved to this place i brought 5ton with me :D  they had been bedded on shavings and it was like peat at the bottom of the pile, lovely stuff, wish i could get more.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 09:26:17 pm »
Donkeys putting people in hospital feldar? What sort of donkeys were these, atttack trained ones?
I'm in the New Forest and believe it or not people put their kids on the donkeys thinking they are tame. Donkey jumps forward and hey presto kid on ground.
I did a stint in Lymington casualty for St Jonn Ambulance a few years ago, we were invited in to gain some hands on experience and a chap came in who had been mobbed by Donkeys, apparently it's quite common here.
He had laid out the picnic on the ground and within a few minutes they were mobbed by Donkeys who were tryng to steal the food. Because idiots around here feed them all the time , they have no respect for humans so either bite or kick to get what they want. anyway he had got between two Donkeys who were having a bit of an tustle for his sandwich and he got kicked in the mouth when one of them lashed out at the other.
I know one girl who had to abandon her tent in the middle of the night because a Donkey smelt the food and basically trashed her tent to get at it.
 So if your ever down this way beware of the Donkeys!!! ;D  other than that they are quite cute.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:57:46 am »
have they got a danger sign up. :-J

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:30 am »
I used to live near the New Forest so know that what feldar is taking about.  The donkeys come up close (pretending to be nice) and when they don't get fed can be quite nasty. I used to steer clear.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »
There is a donkey just down the road from me.  sadly last winter his elderly horse companion had to be put to sleep.  He was lonely so the owners asked my friend if they could have one of her shetlands to keep him company on loan.  My friend agreed, so sweet little Henry went off to keep donkey company.  After a few weeks it became apparent that Henry wasn't very happy in his new home.  when i rode past every day it was obvious that the pony was being bullied. it also became apparent that this couple still expected my friend to foot all the bills, farrier for example,  every 8 weeks or so.

it was on one of these farrier visits at my yard that the owner of the donkey had had to bring Henry  to have his feet trimmed that he said ' we will not be wanting Henry over the winter as i am not prepared to feed him and she will have to have him back, but he can come back in the spring'   i asked him if the donkey wouldn't be lonely in the winter as well?  he didn't answer.

2 weeks later Henry came to live with me and the poor donkey has been braying constantly since October 2011

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:20 pm »
Henry needs another donkey! What horrible people borrowing your shetland, so ungrateful.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:03 am »
Hi we have 3 donks 1 3yr old jenny a 2 yr old jenny and a jenny foal born in may
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS