Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buddlia and calves  (Read 8341 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Buddlia and calves
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:08:44 am »
We have been tidying up our new paddock, ready for a neighbouring farmer to bring his calves in. Have just discovered a large amount of buddlia in one of the hedges. Does anyone know if this is poisonous for calves? If I take it out there is going to be a large gap in the hedge!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Buddlia and calves
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »
According to the wonderful world of google
"The species most commonly referred to as butterfly bush, Buddleia davidii, is  not poisonous to humans, according to the University of California Agriculture  and [size=100%][/size][size=inherit]Natural[/size][size=inherit]Resources[/size][size=100%][/u][/size][/color].  The ASPCA also reports that it is not toxic to animals. Buddleia asiatica,  though, is poisonous."
So assuming it is Davidii and not Asiatica you would be ok..tho not sure how you would tell.....
I did also read tho that in common with a number of plants, wilted/dying buddleia can release cyanide so if they do have access, it should only be to the living plant.
But I have to admit I havent ever fed it to cattle so you will probably want a few more views esp from anyone who has fed it and whose cattle didnt turn up their toes.

Read more:  Is the Butterfly Plant Poisonous to Animals or Humans? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7613824_butterfly-plant-poisonous-animals-humans.html#ixzz1yA4r3t2N

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »
Crikey! Haven't a clue whether it's Davidii or Asiatica, although maybe the latter doesn't grow in the UK. I'll do some googling myself to see if I can find out.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 05:40:23 pm »
Davidii is what my offspring charmingly call 'purple willies' - ie the one which grows everywhere here and is considered an invasive weed.  I rather like it  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:19 pm »
Davidii grows around our fields in the hedgerows. My cattle have never looked at it. The butterflies love it though.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:19:46 am »
Phew! Thank goodness for that. I shall continue to cultivate purple willies :innocent:  and encourage lots of butterflies. :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:42:33 am »
Davidii is what my offspring charmingly call 'purple willies' - ie the one which grows everywhere here and is considered an invasive weed.  I rather like it  :)
Davidii grows around our fields in the hedgerows. My cattle have never looked at it. The butterflies love it though.

Its common name is the Butterfly Bush for the very reason that butterflies love it.  And so do I!  It grows on waste ground all over the south of the country, railway banks, etc.

Thanks, Fleecewife, for changing the way I look at it forever...  ::)   ;) ;D   :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:32:14 am »
Davidii is what my offspring charmingly call 'purple willies'

Thanks, Fleecewife, for changing the way I look at it forever...  ::)   ;) ;D   :wave:

Always happy to help  :eyelashes: :innocent: :eyelashes: :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS