Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: knee replacement on sheep???  (Read 8787 times)

alfred capone

knee replacement on sheep???
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »
  Hello everyone,
I am writing to ask if anyone out there knows of any vet or clinic that may do a knee replacement on sheep.
Our Lillie is not yet two years old but she has arthritis in her front two knees. She has had this problem since birth.
She does not walk about much at all for obvious reasons. we would like to try and help her if at all possible.
I have somewhere in the back of my mind a notion that I may have heard of someone performing such operations.
I have seen foals being given false legs, etc. so it may not be impossible to think of knee replacement for a yound sheep.  :fc:
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
alfred

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: knee replacement on sheep???
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:58:10 pm »
I do hope this is a serious post???? I am sorry but this animal should be humanely destroyed as she possibly is in great pain.....Sorry :bouquet:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »
The options in vets surgery have really been extended by the advent of pet insurance and surgery that would have never been undertaken in the past due to financial reasons are now being pursued. That doesn't always mean it is the right thing for the animal and animals that are in pain and with affected quality of life should be humanely destroyed / put to sleep.

Where did the diagnosis of arthritis come from? In humans this is a degenerative condition and even the early onset / autoimmune / unusual forms are not present at birth. Don't know much about sheep though.

I suggest you speak to your vet about what is possible, they will be able to find out if they do not already know. Expect it to be expensive (i.e. thousands not hundreds) if it does exist. Ask careful questions about experience, prognosis, complications.  Remember that this is something that you should do for the sheep, not for yourself and if there is no reasonable expectation of a good, pain free quality of life then it is not the right thing to do.

I know I may sound harsh but for many vets it is a business and it is also much easier to "have a go" at something as it's a bit different or sounds like fun than it is with people! My cat has had a perineal urethrosomy ( ::)  Don't ask) but I went ahead as it is an established procedure with known and accepted complications and  expectation of a full and normal life after.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:40 pm »
It sounds as if your ewe had joint ill, caused by bacteria getting into the blood stream via the umbilicus after birth (normally prevented by applying iodine).

The decision to put an animal through long and painful surgery, with a subsequent long and painful recovery period, should not be taken lightly, and as someone else has said should not be taken for your pleasure - your decision should be to do what is best for the animal.  Your vet will advise you as to what is available in your area, but please take his/her professional advice about whether this is something acceptable to do.  At the same time you must take the decision as to whether it is humane to keep your ewe living in pain - only you and your vet can judge how much pain she is experiencing and whether she should be euthanased.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »

Sometimes somethings on the forum make me wonder they really do.

But if you absolutely insist this might be a good idea here's some reading.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16957008
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:54:26 pm »
Our Lillie is not yet two years old but she has arthritis in her front two knees. She has had this problem since birth.
She does not walk about much at all for obvious reasons.

I must be misunderstanding this; it reads as though she's been in this pain for two years??????
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:37 pm »
Alfred Capone?  ;D ;D ;D   One post?  ??? ??? ???

Hmmm.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:02:33 pm »
I know....I thought that too  ::)

But just in case there really is some poor animal in the middle of this....

If she were a dog with arthritis, she would be on Rimadyl or Metacam every day rather than looking at joint replacement.

Only you can decide if it's feasible to do that with your sheep, in terms of handling her that often and the cost of the drugs.

Something needs to be done if she's in so much pain she's not walking about. Have you been told by a vet it's definitely arthritis? If so, what was their advice?

As other people have said, sometimes the kindest thing to do is to have them humanely destroyed.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:52:52 pm »
I thought this was a wind-up. I seriously hope it is, anyway.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:39:23 am »
If so S.H. some folk just don't have enough to do ::)  They should get a few sheep, that'll keep them busy ;)
If this IS a serious post, please don't take offence at our replies but you must have the poor thing P.T.S. for her sake.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:36:17 pm »
I do hope this is a serious post? ??? I am sorry but this animal should be humanely destroyed as she possibly is in great pain.....Sorry :bouquet:
I have to say... I agree with Wooly Val....as much as my sheep are my life and love, if ANY of my babies had this I would have them culled for their sake and just bawl my eyes out for the next 6 months!!!! I feel for you, and it's nice that you would put huge amounts of money their way for treatment but I think in this case, a trip to sheep heaven would be kinder all round!!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:43:14 pm »
hmmm
 al capone and kneecaps.
 hmmm

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »
Yes, I was thinking the same thing DITW
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 05:59:04 pm »
Well, he/she hasn't come back so it sounds like someone was just on a wind-up. Oh well. Shame some folk don't have more constructive ways of spending time, but still  ::)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 06:32:29 pm »
hmmm
 al capone and kneecaps.
 hmmm
LOL... I feel like I have been 'fleeced' *evil grin*
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS