Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbits  (Read 4248 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Rabbits
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »
OK - so little over 20 minutes ago I finally got my aim in with the air rifle and got a rabbit.. Some days I have counted over 20 of the furry so and so's - so my compassion for them has diminished somewhat, the more they help themselves to everything from plants and veg to even the tops of ash trees I am growing complete with rabbit guards on.

The question I have is how long after doing the deed do you have to skin and gut a rabbit? And what should you do with it until you can?

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:40 pm »
Have ferreted for over forty years and always gut my rabbits as soon as possible the skin can be left on a bit longer usually till I get home.    Keep them protected from flies and try to keep them cool at this time of the year. If you have only one do the straight away should only take a minute.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:20:15 pm »
I have no idea but I remember buying rabbit from the local Market hanging in stalls, full pelted.

Don't know if they had been gutted as it was over 30yrs ago I was still at school  8)  Very rarely seen here in markets now, frowned upon  ::)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:52:50 am »
We always try and skin and gut them as soon as.  I have found it just makes it easier to do.

Helen

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:51:47 pm »
The further away from the house the better when it comes to gutting.  Just be damn careful not to slit the guts open as you do it if you want to be welcomed home.  The first few are the hardest then it gets kinda simple to do
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »
And take care not to cut the bladder or urinary tract when you have it hung up to gut. Soak in water for 2 hours befoore cooking.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 02:08:08 pm »
I can never gut a rabbit until I'm sure the gut has stopped wriggling :o :o  Only takes a few minutes though!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:33:07 pm »
I tend to empty the bladder by squeezing and gut em when I get home, or you end up fannying around in the field when you could be shooting more of em.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS