Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi - another wannabe lurker (NI)  (Read 3309 times)

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
Hi - another wannabe lurker (NI)
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:32:56 pm »
Hi all
Found this forum recently and have had a lovely time reading your posts so felt it only right and proper to 'come out of the shadows'.
Well, what can I tell you about myself - at the moment I'm a SAHM of 3 (well, technically 2 as my eldest is at uni in Durham) and live in Co. Down NI.  I was born a country girl and my dad kept a few pigs but circumstances meant we had to move when I was young.  I spent 12 years in the civil service and left that 3 years ago so I've had plenty of time to 'dream the dream' but would really like to make it a reality - the trouble is convincing the OH - he reckons we'll have to wait until he retires (10 years away!) but surely it's possible for one to be at home while another works outside the home.  I'd love to hear any experiences along this line.
In the meantime I'll keep doing my 'homework' and I'm going to look into doing some courses/work experience (just found out about wwoofing so hoping OH and I will get a chance to do some of that over the summer).
Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Audrey x

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Re: Hi - another wannabe lurker (NI)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:55:45 pm »
Hi. I'm quite new to this site as well. From Eire, but only the last 3 years previously London.  I had the dream as well and now that I am husbandless (so to speak) and my daughter who came to Ireland with me, has gone to University - I have a little bit of time/land and am asking questions all the time to these very interesting, knowledgable people - they are amazing.  As a group they know everything about smallholding and its great.
I still work full time in healthcare, but am about to set up a chicken coup, vegetable beds and if I have the courage some goats.   think I will end up being that mad English woman on the hill, but hey I will be so happy.  Just wish I could do it full time. Maybe I will start B&B and give up the mad job - its no NHS in Eire!!
I would say welcome, though as a newbie maybe it is not my place yet, but hey I'm a Londoner at heart.
Get inspired from this site - I did!!!!!   

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:59:09 pm »
I have 11 goats and am addicted to them. They are all pets but they are amazing animals.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:47:51 am »
Look on the next ten years as a learning time.  It will pass very quickly.  Use every avenue to gain experience, to save for the livestock/deadstock you will need, to read up on all aspects of livestock.  Also to make a plan of how you will achieve and continue to support your dream.  For instance if you breed sheep, what will be the ultimate aim for the sheep, some for the freezer, the fleece, sell the meat, use them as grass cutters?  Ten years will be but a second in time once you get into all this.  At the end of it you will be well prepared to live the life.  HM

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:51:44 pm »
Thanks for that advice HM.  I'm very fortunate in that, as part if leaving my job (voluntary severance) I can avail of whatever training courses I feel would be of benefit to me whether that be a different career, personal development etc etc so I'm going to be signing up for horticulture and animal care courses after the summer.  With a bit of luck I'll be able to find a smallholder course somewhere over here as the only ones I've come across so far are all based in England.  I would get funding for the course but not for travel/accommodation so makes that a non-runner at the mo.  Like you said, ten years goes in fairly quick, but with a bit of luck and a following breeze things will well and truly be happening by then but I'm certainly going to enjoy the journey.
Well, I'll have to say cheerio here as wee man gets out of nursery at 1.15 and wee woman gets out at 2 so I've just got time to hang the washing out before I go (and pray that the rain stays off :D)
A x

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:27:15 pm »
Hello from Belcoo. The Organic Centre in Rossinver  www.theorganiccentre.ie (about 6 miles over the border from Belleek) run horticultural courses. The Hillmans in Leitrim ( sallygardens.typepad.com ) also run smallholding courses. Don't know of anyone doing any courses in the North, there is another forum member called "The Relic" - he lives in Co. Down - could try sending him a message via the forum to see if he knows of anyone.

Cheers

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:14:20 pm »
Hi and welcome from chilly Clackmannanshire.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:52:36 am »
I envy you the time and the opportunity to do the courses. 

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:50:00 pm »
Hi Gavin - thanks for those suggestions.  Had a look at the websites and I'm loving the organic centre one - I could just spend weeks down there doing the heap ;D.  I'll drop The Relic a line (hope he won't mind) and see if he knows of anywhere a bit handier to home.
A x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS