Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milking stands  (Read 10542 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: milking stands
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »
This is a bit of a tangent - could you use it to keep the goat in position for feet trimming - we have to 'deck' ours with me holding the head end and other half 'sitting on' them (not quite of course).  It's not ideal and every month when we do it I think there must be an easier way?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »
definately, even my awkward one I can do on my own,  shouldn't be a battle, food bribes work well too.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
This is a bit of a tangent - could you use it to keep the goat in position for feet trimming - we have to 'deck' ours with me holding the head end and other half 'sitting on' them (not quite of course).  It's not ideal and every month when we do it I think there must be an easier way?
We used to have a battle with mine, but now they stand reasonably quietly. best if someone holds head, push against wall, lift feet like a blacksmith would a horse, (but not too high) stand rump to rump with goat for back feet, hold hoof firmly between your knees, be firm and don't let go when they struggle (unless their falling over of course). GIVE A TREAT AFTER. They eventually realise it's not such an ordeal and there are goodies when they've been good  :) .
If you persevere I'm sure you will all be happier then being 'decked'  :)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »
Oh yes!  We have kids so we know about bribes of treats!  ::)  Now I've just shown OH Jaykay and Plums' pics and said I was going to give it a go at which he looked like  ::)  and I looked like  :eyelashes:  and I will no doubt look a bit  :innocent:  after its made up!  :fc: :fc: :fc:   Will I be confident enough to show the results  :trophy:  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... we architects like fiddling about with bits of wood - its all in the detail...see it in 6 months I think...
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 08:58:47 am »
our milking stand consists of ...... my o/h kneeling on the floor with his jug (sometimes on a kneeler pad, not always), the goat with her head in her bucket and me sitting on a little stool holding a saucepan!

but one day....  :)
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 09:02:23 am »
Goosepimple, did you find the pattern on the Fias Co Farm website? It really wasn't too difficult to make - good luck  :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 11:39:55 am »
Yes, just got that Jaykay, many thanks - we were lucky enough to inherit a workshop with built in tools so I've no excuses!  We're living in deconstruction city at the moment but it will all have to stop when our kids come off at the end of june, so a project for a day with the kiddies I think.  That and felting our fleeces - hopefully it will stop raining for a couple of days  8)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 11:16:32 pm »
Inspired by all (plus being a bit desperate), we made one!
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:20 am »
That's excellent - good job  :thumbsup:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »
Very nice! ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 05:54:35 pm »
There are some talented people on here.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
Well done!  I've no excuses now  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »
Well done!

Not sure what your surface material is - put some lino or something easily wipeable down. I have one girl who is an expert in multi-tasking - she's having her breakfast (or dinner) while being milked and is doing her business the other end too if I am too slow...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »
:D Geraldine is abit like that.... though she usually wanders off to do her business, and have a look round while we wait  for her!
Little Blue

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:21 pm »
Well done!

Not sure what your surface material is - put some lino or something easily wipeable down. I have one girl who is an expert in multi-tasking - she's having her breakfast (or dinner) while being milked and is doing her business the other end too if I am too slow...

Wouldn't lino be a bit slippy if they come in with wet feet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS