Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milking stands  (Read 10544 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
milking stands
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:35:21 am »
Are all equal?  I was going to order one from ascott unless there is a better model out there (and not more expensive).

As a first timer, any tips on best /favourite equipment to buy whilst I am ordering the stand?

thx
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: milking stands
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:19:17 pm »
Excellent links.  My husband made our milking table out of old pallets and it works a treat.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
We made ours from the Fiasco farm pattern. It was very easy to do and is excellent to use, plus is very sturdy  :thumbsup:

Not really the right angle to show the stand but you get an idea.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:42:11 pm by jaykay »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »

This is ours - comes with several other uses (wet sponge throwing optional)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »
They could do sw

with some of those outside some supermarkets etc  :innocent:

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:15:00 pm »
How very posh you all are....my 'milking stand' is a piece of board 1m x .5m on 4 breeze blocks!  ;)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:50 pm »
 :D your girls Plums  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:22:18 pm »
The Fiasco farm one is mine - very similar to Jaykay's in fact!!! My darling of a husband even built me one for taking to shows with me, it comes apart and exactly fits the boot of the car!

I have put lino onto it - easily wiped clean.

If you are fairly handy with wood - build your own. I was going to buy the Ascott one for travelling, but on enquiring found out that is quite heavy as it is all one piece, just foldable...

milking stands also good for - giving injections, cutting feet, brushing long coated goats... and just sitting down in the goatshed when escape from the human house is required....

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 12:04:03 am »
Thanks all, fantastic one and all. Unfortunately husband is a ninetofiver, so chances of me getting him to spend a valuable day of rest are slim. They do look nice and chunky so definite advantage with jumpity new girls. And the weather forecast isn't good for the weekend, so may a nice dry, inside job may have its appeal...
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 12:23:42 am »
Mine is just a piece of wood with one end wider than the other for me to sit on.  I've never needed anything to hold them in place, not even a tether.  Occasionally I get leaned on but I just lean back.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 12:15:13 am »
I got 2 wood pallets, cut them in half, so out of each pallet I had a narrow pallet with the 6 blocks of wood (spacers?) underneath. tacked a flat piece of wood on top of one, that goes on the top, the other underneath for extra height. A ring fastened to the wall holds them OK. Cheap plastic 'step/stool' to sit on.
I lean the top one against the wall outside to wash it down.
To stop the occasional (?) foot in bucket, I plaited a bale band 'rope', double stranded, 2 lengths long, loop it round a back leg, under the back of the pallet and put my foot on it while milking, she can't bring her foot too far forward but I can take my foot off quickly if needed.
Mind you, while this works, I sometimes dream of a milking stand, as one girl tries to bite me while milking, she now gets fed AFTER milking, she's learned to let me get on with it ;D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 07:31:45 am »
Home made for us, not good enough for trading standards if you want to sell produce as it is raw wood, just needs seeling with varnish or paint,

Goat-Lady

• Joined May 2012
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 10:23:01 am »
Mine is a permant structure for ease of cleaning, which can be hosed down.
Structure is made of concrete blocks, 18" high infilled with rubble and more concrete.  And with concrete patio slabs for the top.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 12:29:37 pm »
Haven't got a husband, went out and made one up yesterday afternoon ;) If you want a job done you DIY ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS