Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Traditional woodcraft tools  (Read 7866 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Traditional woodcraft tools
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 08:23:19 pm »
Hi MAK. I've just bought two drawknives off ebay, 7 " straight and 8" curved and now need a large (12") straight one. There are a lot of French tools being sold -guess people are buying them in France, cleaning them up and selling them here. The prices are lower at the moment as supply exceeds demand. The curved French drawknife was £9.50.

Thanks for the offer MAK. We should arrive in 10 weeks. Building coops like mad, runs next, trailer ordered, which may hold us up with late delivery. My wife has retired early so is handling all the paperwork. Satellite dish hasn't arrived yet though- a little luxury for dark cold Winter nights!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 08:43:54 am »
I stood looking at lots of old tools yeaterday at a car boot. I found a wooden right angle clamp for picture framing. It had a brass corner and right angle cutting lines and wooden clamps. I asked in French how much and the lady said 10 Euros - I snapped it up, As I paid for it a chap appeared and asked her in English how much she sold it for - he was not happy and told her he wanted 50 euros for it. I think you are right that there are some English people dealing in old tools. His were all cleaned up whilst the French were selling theirs all rusty or dirty out of big boxes.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:12 pm »
I'd better get there and start buying then MAK. Difference is I want to use them and they want to collect them. They appear in the 'antique collectables' section of ebay. Saw an adjustable handled drawknife listed as 'very rare' which had a first bid of £100 ! Of course the British manufacturers attract the highest prices.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »
I saw a wooden spoke shave yesterday. The blade had right angle pins that  popped up vertically thru the wooden handle and clipped tight in place. To sharpen the U shaped blade you would have to pop it out the wooden handle. The shape and size of the wood was perfect for me but I resisted the urge to buy.
The shapes and types of wood chisels are very different here - as are wood turning tools. facinating stuff.   
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:46 pm »
buy me a selection of chisels mak. ill buy them off you and cover postage. dont mind what types, ill work them out.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:08 pm »
Hello,

Well I just had two coutre - I don't know if the plural would be coutres or coutry - sent up from France, at first glance in real life they were in poor condition, but ok it's a difficult thing to find. It was a lot of work to get them in order only to find that the one had lost its temper and the steel edge would fold and crumble in use, number two is now in good condition and it is so fine to put this archaic tool back into service making shingles for the woodshed out back there.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS