Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Traditional woodcraft tools  (Read 7864 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Traditional woodcraft tools
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »
In preparation for our move to France and anticipating more available time (as we won't have internet for quite a while) I've started looking at more traditional styles of woodcrafting. Seen a great way to make a bench and a simple lathe and wood clamping device. I have collected a variety of primitive tools but one thing evades me -a two handed spokeshave type thingy. It's like a large cut-throat razor blade (about a foot long) with two pulling handles at right angles to it.

Few questions. What is it actually called and where can I get one without paying a fortune? Tried a couple of antique shops and they wanted £5 for a large rusty round file! are these things still made as I spoke to a chap at a fair who said all new steel traditional woodworking tools were rubbish. Can you get this sort of thing from junk shops in France?

robert waddell

Re: Traditional woodcraft tools
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:38 pm »
it is called a spoke shave   for shaving the spokes of a wheel :farmer:

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:30:40 pm »
do you mean a draw knife:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawknife
I have a small one, very useful.
This is a spokeshave:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokeshave

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:43 pm »
its a drawknife, as above. a very worthwhile investment, that, a froe and a shavehorse, then a polelathe and your sorted.
mine was £50 but well woth it for the steel quality.

http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Products/Tools/Drawknives/

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01:08 am »
Echo Deepinthewoods, woodsmithstore sell great stuff- and if you can get your hands on a copy of any of the MIke Abbot books (esp 'living wood') it has patterns for shave horse etc.  You might pick up an old draw knife in a junk shop/car boot which might be worth a gamble, but forget buying a cheap modern one (been there with some tools).  I would also recommend a few scotch eye augres if you dont allready have - then you are into hurdles and post and rail fences...furntature....

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:38:16 pm »
I can see there is going to be a ton of stuff to learn here. It is a drawknife and I will easily make a shave horse from the photos and explaination I got at a show. Will look at these 'scotch eye augers'. Also saw a pole lathe, didn't have the camera, but should be able to work it out. Looks like fun, until I slice my fingers off !!!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:56:30 pm »
If you cant lay your hands on one of the books - the bodgers association do have some patterns...
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/plans-menu/56-making-a-treadle-or-pole-lathe  Happy green woodworking!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:59:32 pm »
shave horses are easy to make the first time, but when you realise it doesnt work as you originally thought and then try to alter the design to fit your legs and action then you realise they aint so simple. if i was to offer one word of advice it would be to take lots of time on getting the vice right.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:36 pm »
blumme, I could spend a small (or large even) fortune at that woodsmithstore, some nice stuff.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:03:31 pm »
much more digestable - more visual plans for shavehorse and pole lathe... http://www.bodgers.org.uk/pdf/plsh.pdf

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »
Invest in a good axe too it will save a lot of work.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15:20 pm »
a left handed side axe is my next 'save up for cos its a luxury' purchase :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:48 pm »
Thanks for the links FiB. Found a lovely old shaping axe in a junk store for 50p. They were selling it as a firewood chopper and it looks as though it had some abuse. Can't see a makers name but it has 'No.4' stamped into it. Giveaway was the short well shaped handle and the very narrow head with wide straight edged blade.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 06:14:49 am »
There is a chap on the Huddersfield Second Hand market (Tuesdays) who sells second hand wood work tools, nothing electrical. I have purchased a number of items from him, the latest tool is a hole borer with the adjustable cutting head. If you want a spoke shave, I'm sure he has them, will get you one. Send a PM.
Ref axes, can I recommend a Granfors Bruks, available from www.greenwoodworks.co.uk  I have recently purchased a 425 Outdoor Axe from them, not the cheapest of axes, but certainly one of the best. It is about a foot long, a small head, ideal for field work and I could still shave with it after preparing a bucket load of splints.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 06:55:59 am »
I have a spoke shave that I never use. I'll check that I still have it and PM if I can find it and post it to you one day when you arrive in France. I bought my brother a draw knife for £ 3 some years ago but have also seen them on sale here.
The French Car Boot sales go on all day and take over a village. People often sell old tools from their Dad's barn and there is usually one or two people that sell tools and old barn stuff. There is a web site that shows all Vide Greniers in your area - some Fetes also have stalls, stonesmiths, carpenters, blacksmiths etc showing their skills.
I have a few old wooden H saws and a long 2 man saw that I found in the barn but such seem 2 a penny here and are often on sale.
You may be surprised what you can find here - some of the tools  seem very unusual and intrigue me.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS