Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Pregnancy Doppler  (Read 8396 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Pig Pregnancy Doppler
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 11:22:32 am »
Ditto HH  :)   Also, we have visiting boars and our own boars go out visiting too and so to know for sure that a sow is in-pig prior to letting him go off on his travels etc would be very helpful, especially as I have a sow that I had down as due last weekend but no-show.  She still looks in-pig but was unwell for 24 hours about 4 weeks ago.....so I could be wasting my time having her in the farrowing shed....and also wasting time not having her re-running with a boar.   Lots of plus signs to having a Doppler and we have 5 sows to keep a check on  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
Re: Pig Pregnancy Doppler - SUCCESS :o)
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »
Yeay -  :pig: :pig: :pig:  Have just tried out the Doppler on one of my Berkshires who has been running with my boar for 6 weeks.....and .....she's in-pig  :thumbsup: .  Definate 'sounds' to be heard which I couldn't hear on the Middle White............who is in the dog house cos she's definately NOT in-pig (dang and blast it), BUT at least I know I haven't wasted my money on this piece of kit  ;D .
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
Oooo, glad to hear it's working (even if your MW's not  ;) ) I suppose since I have 8 breeding gilts/sows I'd better start saving  ::)  It does sound like I'd get a fair bit of use from it (being so darned picky and impatient about things  ;) ) Whart's the earliest it will give an accurate result ?
If you ever fancy a trip to Scotland Blinkers, bring your doppler and I'll give you B&B in return for a wee shot of it  :eyelashes:   ;D   ;D   ;)
Karen  :wave:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 09:04:32 pm »
Hi HH - oooooo, would love to take you up on that offer  :eyelashes: ..... but at the moment a tad difficult getting away for more than a few hours  ::) .
The doppler can detect a positive pig pregnancy from as early as 16 days after service  :o .   However I didn't see the boar serve the sow, so decided to wait for 6 weeks and then test it.   The good thing is, you can't get a false positive reading .... so if you hear the 'sounds' it a definate  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS